Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Sep 1996 12:50:20 -0700
From:         busgirl@netcom.com (Martha)
Subject:      more CCC's particulars for 9/20-22 trip

Once again, thanks to Kathy, we have heaps of very specific info here, which I told her I'd forward to all of you....

--

Hey, Sista!

I drove down to the site yesterday to re-aquaint myself with it. The place really is beautiful! I'm glad you all chose to come here - it's kinda like hosting a huge party in my own back yard. The fall colors should be going off when we're down there!

:-)

I met with the "Hosts" Ray and Gail LeMay (the volunteers who clean the restrooms) and they filled me in on the do's and don't's. I took some notes and came up with some ideas that might make setting up camp as hassle free as possible. I thought you'd like to see them. I sorta think that everybody would benefit by reading the following, but since you seem to have the best handle on group communications, I'll let you decide whether or not to forward it to the group. Hope that's OK with you.

The Feds who manage the area are old friends of mine (ex-bosses to be exact) and if they are around, and have the time, they will probably stop by to say hi. They are really nice people but they are committed to protecting the resource and will roust us if we're blowing it. So... it might be wise for everybody to know what's expected of them. It's really nothing to be concerned about - since they have weekends off and live up in town... so they won't be crusing through our site, hovering over or bugging us. The Hosts live across the street about a 1/4 mile and they're way old and won't have the energy to mess with us either. Things will be low profile, if we are low profile. I mean, ya know what I mean? Well, here is goes!

*************************************

PUMICE FLAT GROUP CAMPGROUND - Sites 1 - 4

2 miles south of Agnew Meadows on the road to the Devils Postpile Nat. Monument

CCC CENTRAL:

It might be nice to have a central location where our group can sit around the fire and have GREAT meals. Since SITE #4 accommodates the most people, we might consider using it as a place to hang, as a group, regardless of where we all sleep. All of these sites are located on about 2 acres and are within very short walking distance from each other. My suggestion is that those of us who want to camp as close to the center of things as possible should park at Site #4 - where there is enough room for 10 vehicles. The rest of us can park and camp in the other sites and walk in to Site #4 to hang with the group. Just a thought. :-)

PARKING:

All parking is limited to the areas left (east) of the dirt road. There is no parking allowed next to the tables or fire-rings at any of these sites. The closest parking to the fire-ring / tables area is in Site #4 - which is another reason that it would be a good location for CCC Central.

MAXIMUM NUMBER OF VEHICLES AND PEOPLE:

The maximum number of vehicles allowed in each site is *serious* business here on the INYO - as is the maximum number of people who are allowed to occupy each site. (That's why we rented the WHOLE PLACE!) We should endeavor to stay within the limits stated below. The Campground Hosts, who are across the street a 1/4 mile, are friends of mine, as are the Feds who manage the area, but we shouldn't expect them to let us get away with over crowding and infringing on the regulations.

TABLES:

Each site has a number of picnic tables that seat up to 8 people. All of them are sturdy but weathered. Table cloths might be a real plus!!! We may move the tables from site to site, but they are WAY heavy. See "Site Descriptions" for table locations as of 9/9/96.

RESTROOMS:

2 restroom buildings 1 with 2 private rooms at Site # 1 1 with 4 private rooms between Sites # 3 and 4 No electrical outlets NO FOOD TYPE TRASH ALLOWED IN RESTROOM TRASH CANS - PAPER ONLY!!! NO PARKING ANYWHERE NEAR THE RESTROOMS!!!

WATER:

Cold, but potable water is available at both restroom buildings.

BEAR PROOF FOOD STORAGE:

This is bear country!!! Food should NOT be left out - or the bears WILL GET IT! Ice chests and bags of food should be covered up and kept inside your closed vehicle unless you are eating it, or sitting right next to it!!! We don't go anywhere without a gym teacher's whistle. Bears HATE the way it sounds and they will run away. These bears (Ursus americanus) don't want you - they want your food. Just pretend that you're camping in Yosemite... without the crowds! A clean campsite is a bearless campsite. If we have dogs, we probably won't have bears.

DOGS:

Dogs are welcome!!! (woof)

But.... if the Feds show up, they will get all wiggly about dogs running wild. The rule on *this* Forest, is that if you are in a developed area (like our sites) dogs must be on a leash that is no longer than 6 feet long. If you are away from developed areas, dogs may run as wild as they please - as long as they are controllable by sight or sound. Since we are renting the whole place, the dog issue may only come up among ourselves, but if the Feds show up, be ready to produce a leash. Oh... and be ready to put Rover on it, as well.

HOOK-UPS:

Whatareyakiddin' me? No hook - ups!!! (Sorry.)

BEAR PROOF DUMPSTERS:

There is one bear proof dumpster in the center of camp by sites 2 &3. All trash should be dumpsterized or burned unless, of course, we want visitors of the bear kind. There is no parking anywhere near the dumpster!

ALUMINUM RECYCLE BIN:

This can is right next to the bear proof dumpster and it is for aluminum cans only!

SITE DESCRIPTIONS:

SITE # 1

Maximum vehicles: 8 Maximum people: 30 Fire-ring: 1 Tables: 9

SITE NOTES:

Parking is in a forest clearing just below the tables and fire-ring. Vehicles are not allowed up by the tables. You may sleep in your vehicle in the parking area or you may pitch a tent in the area surrounding the site.

SITE # 2

Maximum vehicles: 3 Maximum people: 20 Fire-ring: 1 Tables: 3

SITE NOTES:

Parking is in the trees in small spaces just perfect for buses. The fire-ring and tables are about 20 feet uphill from there. Vehicles are not allowed up by the tables. You may sleep in your vehicle in the parking area or pitch tents in area surrounding the site.

SITE #3

Maximum vehicles: 4 Maximum people: 20 Fire-ring: 1 Tables: 4

SITE NOTES:

Parking is in the trees in small spaces just perfect for buses. The fire-ring and tables are about 20 feet uphill from there. Vehicles are not allowed up by the tables. You may sleep in your vehicle in the parking area or pitch tents in area surrounding the site.

SITE #4 - Kath's Proposed CCC Central :-)

Maximum vehicles: 10 Maximum people: 50 Fire-ring: 1 Tables: 6 regular 1 huge table perfect for serving yummy group meals :-)

***SPECIAL STUFF*** stream running along the eastern boundary

SITE NOTES:

Parking is in a large forest clearing VERY close to the fire-ring and tables. You may sleep in your vehicle in the parking area or pitch a tent in the area surrounding the site.

Kathy Myers and Mark Blanchard Active Periphery Press Blanchard Products Mammoth Lakes, CA