Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Sep 96 19:47:10 UT
From:         "Bryan Feddish" <CelticB@msn.com>
Subject:      Fuel Injectors On 83 w/c

Thanks for the suggestions for my poor gas mileage problem. ( I was getting 10 mpg after I replaced the head gasket). I was a bit overwhelmed as I am not a very good mechanic. I broke down and took the van to the dealer (my mechanic has NO computers) as I wanted a complete diagnostic and my O2 set. They went ballistic when they saw all the after-market parts on the engine, as expected. (We can't warranty any of our work, blah blah bla). I had some vacuum leaks, which I did not detect, and the intake manifold gaskets were backwards. They also got rid of that scary valve tapping noise I introduced with the new head and gasket. Besides them wanting to replace everything non-VW on the van (or trade it in, guess where I could get a new one..) they said my fuel injectors were beyond cleaning ( I have 100K on them) and I need a new ox sensor. My question is, since I was getting 24 mpg before I messed with the motor, how could the injectors be bad? Will they go all of a sudden or will they die slowly. Also, can I get a used set as I know how much these things cost.

I would like to add that the dealer did do a good job of diagnosing everything and had the van back to me in a few hours. (Devon Hill Volkswagen in Devon PA).

Thanks, Bryan