Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Sep 1996 19:21:28 EST
From:         "William R. Kennedy, NJIT CIAT, 201-596-5648" <kennedy@admin.njit.edu>
Subject:      Dusseldorfer insights

>From: ADMIN::KENNEDY "William R. Kennedy, NJIT CIAT, 201-596-5648" 11-SEP-1996 19:17:28.39 To: KENNEDY CC: KENNEDY Subj: Dusseldorfer insights

Helmut Zeidler in Dusseldorf has very helpfully annotated the Audi 5-cylinder price list that I posted this morning. His comments are in parens, mine [regarding the Audi, and similar Porsche-retrofit problems] in square brackets.

Basic building set:

1 bellhousing for the bus transmission (about 150 $ in South Africa)

1 special flywheel (240mm -- AUDI flywheel have 228mm, same as my 2.0L Camper)

1 crankshaft adapter with bearing (easily to machine it + VW bearing)

1 engine carrier with welded parts [clarifying that the engine carrier is finished as provided by Winkler.]

1 exhaust system with manifold connection (without cat converter) [a big deal in Germany for reasons that aren't completely clear to me; apparently cars after a certain model year now need catalysts even if they weren't born with them?]

1 set of gaskets for bellhousing (only one, between bellhousing and gearbox)

1 holder for clutch cylinder (that's the old one, remade to fit the bellhousing)

30 page instruction manual (only 10 pages useful, you have it already [as HZ has translated it for the list in past weeks] without the drawings, other pages are copies from AUDI 5000 DIY's)

Price DM2,750

bellhousing, only as replacement part in exchange 1100 (Part number BCY 301107A, app. 150 $ in South Africa)

flywheel, only as replacement part in exchange 750 (take the AUDI one and machine it to 240mm)

engine carrier complete 480 (the most important thing) [HZ implies that this one piece is what one really needs to buy from Winkler to complete the Audi 5 installation. The reasons the Porsche->Vanagon retrofit is so easy is that the engine carrier is so much easier to fabricate -- no bends, no welding -- and the stock bellhousing doesn't need to be replaced. The other Vanagon shop I talked to in Germany said there was a DM10,000 kit to fit the Porsche engine in the Vanagon. Unless it includes an adapter to heat water in the Porsche heat exchangers, someone's getting robbed.]

exhaust, 2 mufflers with pipes 860 (outlet in front of left rear wheel)

clutch, complete, strengthened 480 (from AUDI Quattro, part numbers at home)

altered crank bearing 50 (VW has 16mm, AUDI 20mm shafts, that's the reason)

replacement parts for bellhousing, release lever, bearing, gasket etc. 120 (from AUDI 5000, Vanagon etc.)

holder for clutch cylinder 69 (would you like to have the drawing?)

extended gasline 70 (I have to add this one of the next weeks)

2-piece exhaust heat shield 112 (fold your own from sheetmetal)

engine support, each (two required) 115 (from AUDI 5000)

reangled rubber part for induction pipe 145 (from AUDI 4000 5 Cyl./ Rabbit etc.)

plastic extension with adapters for induction pipe 250 (what's this? I don't need it)

5 extended injection lines 300 (needed for fuel distributors on right side only for Crewcabs) [thus, regrettably, not a key issue in the US]

fabricated water pipes for equalization tank 120 (do you have a knife? DIY!)

equalization tank with cover 85 (from Vanagon)

overflow tank 47 (from Vanagon)

small filterbox for quantity tank [my Vgon is aircoold; no clue what this is] 145 (I don't know what you mean, I will check my catalog)

electric fuel pump 240 (from AUDI 5000)

big prefilter 27 (from AUDI 5000)

engine space height extension (about 4cm higher) with new lid as original 280 (I figure out, only 2cm, 4cm for distributor cap)[Westy owners note that the portion that needs to be raised is not under the southwest cabinet, so you don't need to chop that, but you do need to sleep a little higher. With regard to the Porsche engine conversion, only the heaterblower is under that cabinet, and that blower would be easy to reposition, so again, the cabinet could stay; you just need to raise the deck in the northeast corner of the engine lid, where the Porsche fuel distributor is. Amount of extra height needed -- for Porsche and for Audi5 for that matter -- depends on your taste in ground clearance. You might be able to hang the Audi low enough to clear the stock deck].