Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Sep 96 15:43:44 EDT
From:         snuggles@VNET.IBM.COM
Subject:      Joel Change the Stats! '77 Westy

hey now,

well....amanda and i put a deposit down on this beautiful orange '77 westy today. thanks to stefan for his help on inspecting it.....much much muchly appreciated. the interior on this van is perfect. no rips, tears, etc. the pop up canvas is in excellent shape..with just one or two tiny holes. i was quite suprised. the only thing missing is the pump and water tank. anyone got some spares they'd like to sell me? :-)

the engine sounds great. we determined that the starter is okay..but the solenoid is bad. we could get power to the starter by hooking it to the battery. it turned but didn't catch. will have to work on that. one cv boot is cracked and will have to be replaced. i have a whole extra transaxle for a '74...will that work on a '77? all lights except the brake lights work. we will have to work on that as well. no rocker panel rust or any floor rust. a couple small places on the body have be derusted and need a bit more work. but on the whole, the van is virtually rust free.

to get the van started, we had to push start it, started immediately even though it has sat for a year. the 2.0 engine has power! wow, i was impressed! good brakes, steering is good. ball joints and tie rods look good. timing was right on. compression couldn't be tested because we couldn't start the van without rolling it. but i think it will be okay. needs an oil change. we had to adjust the clutch because whoever put the clutch cable on didn't do it right. no biggy.

the passenger seat does indeed swivel. the owner was suprised. had a top end engine rebuild i think 10,000 miles ago. can't remeber exactly. van has 160,000 miles on it.

he was asking $1600. got it down to $1450. left him a $100 deposit and will get the rest to him monday. yahhhhhhhooooo!

i missed the threads on cleaning westy tops. what's the best way?

jonathan

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ "And 100,000 tons of steel, made to roll the brakes don't work and this grade's too steep, Her engines sure to blow"

jonathan edwards '74 Retrowestie (Rumba) '77 Westy(NoNameYet) raleigh, nc '90 Taurus (FOR SALE) '76 Fiance(DaWoman) /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/