Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Sep 1996 17:56:58 -0400
From:         John Anderson <vwbus@netbiz.net>
Subject:      Re: FI Parts Questions

Jeff Carver wrote: > > I have both a CA equipped '80 westi and a non-CA '80 Westi. > I have been reviewing Skip's archives to determine the differences in > the FI system. Most of the components are the same, but where there > are differences, the Bosch name for a component is not the same as > the Bently or Haynes name. Could someone provide a description and > location of the following parts? > > ECU - Exchange non-CA only > (not a clue what or where this is)

Electronic Control Unit, IE the computer, mounted on right side up where the air intake snout goes to, big electrical connector goes there

> > Resistor Unit non-CA only > (is this mounted on the LF firewall consisting of lots of white wires > attached to white cylindrical objects surrounded by aluminum)

YEP > > Combi-Relay different model numbers CA vs non-CA > (is this the fuel pump relay mounted on the LF firewall with a square > connector from the FI wiring harness and another square connector > from the main wiring harness?)

YEP > > Vacuum Limiter different model numbers CA vs non-CA > (is this the big vacuum biscuit mounted above the engine or the > deceleration valve mounted on the vertical engine tin or something > else altogether)

YEP > > AIr Flow Meter different model numbers CA vs non-CA > (I assume that this is the Air Flow valve that is the throttle cable > attaches to?)

Nope this is the silver part mounted on the plastic air filter intake box at the upper end of the rubber snorkel pipe going down to the throttle valve which is what you are talking about. > > BTW what/where are the following parts. They are the same, but I want > to be educated on my FI system. > > Temperature Sensor Coolant > > Thermo-Time Switch (NOT the Cold Start Valve)

This misnomer is cause the Thermo-time switch is also used in water pumpers, it is a bit hard to find, as it resides under the air distribution manifold (the clack thing the 4 intake pipes come out of) If you look behind the distributor, under the manifold, under the cold start valve on the manifold you will see an electrical connector attached to something, this is the thing, its on the left side as you look at the engine, now the part it controls, the aux air bypass regulator or whatever you wish to call it is on the right side on the block in back of the distibution manifold. > > I am trying to move all the CA equipment from CA bus to the non-CA > bus & I want to get all the right equipment, but don't want to > exchange parts unecessarily. > > TIA > - Jeff + (2) '80 Westi's, '67 Sqbk, '64 Ford Crewcab, '87 Subaru 4WD > Grass Valley, California

Hope this helps, Good Luck