Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Sep 1996 19:44:51 -0700
From:         rickgo@halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)
Subject:      eurovan/winnebago

> >I've hear lots of bad and a little good about the Eurovan. >

You must have been reading old issues of Consumer Reports or something. I'm certainly pretty happy with mine so far.

>But... I am looking for something between an RV and a Conversion Van so that >I can travel in some comfort and not have to stay at motels and eat at >restaurants all the time. About the only vehicle that I know about that >fills this requirement is the VW EuroVan camper. I was talking to a dealer >yesterday who mentioned the marriage of Winnebago and VW in the latest >camper incarnation. Does anyone know anything about these puppies. Like: >how long have they been made? are they any good? cost? availability of >used ones? should I buy new if I can afford it?? If they used to be lousy, >are they better now? etc., etc.? >

To attempt answering your questions: They were made in 1995, carried over into 1996. Yes, they're "any good". Basically a Westfalia-like design. Cost is high, MSRP is about $32K, street price is $27-$28K. There are not many used ones, I've heard total # manufactured around 5000+. I recently heard of a used one in Idaho, it was selling for $28K too. There have been some reports here of problems with the '93 EV, notably "piston slap" which has been covered by the warranty. I don't know if these apply to the '95 model - they do have the same engine though. Eventually, VW is supposed to be bringing EVs with the VR6 engine in, but no one seems to know if/when they'll do that to the Camper model. Nor how much more it will cost.

>I am especially concerned about their reliability, as this has been a huge >question about the Eurovans. >

Hard to say: the '93s haven't been especially troublesome. There's rather a small sample to determine anything from here though. I've seen lots of them in the Seattle area lately. You know how VWs are though: even if you have trouble with it, you still love it. The '95s are still pretty new and low mileage: we'll have to wait awhile and see what breaks. They are pretty much the same vehicle though: the Camper is just the extended wheelbase model of the EV.

>I really need some help here, so any and all advice on the specific question >of the VW/Winnebago vehicle or potential solutions to the general question >of what is a good vehicle to buy for "camping" would be greatly appreciated. >

A lot of people are happy with trucks with campers on the back. Certainly cheaper. The EV is a lot better in a cross-wind I'll bet though! I've seen a Canadian (Vancouver/Victoria) company which does camper conversions of more common vans. I don't know what they cost though.

If the UPS.EDU you're at is Univ of Puget Sound, you might check out: Carter VW in Seattle, and whatever the dealer is in Everett.

-rick

Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA, USA ------------------------------------- rickgo@halcyon.com http://www.halcyon.com/rickgo/ KC7QEG finger for PGP public key fingerprint -------------------------------------