Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Sep 1996 09:05:54 -0400
From:         Vanagonut@aol.com
Subject:      Wannabussers, this is your lucky day!

Hey folks, Ric & crew here. Vanagonut@aol.com (formerly VdubDude@aol.com)

After being on the road on our trip around America for about a month, the wife and I have decided to buy a full-sized travel trailer and tow vehicle. The three of us are having a real hard time trying to live in this Westy together. This, after spending a frigging fortune on restoring our '83 Watercooled. I bought this vehicle about a year and a half ago from the second owner. He used it in his painting business because it had "neat cubbyholes" for his supplies. It doesn't have paint all over it, so relax. I rescued the Westy from him after the engine and tranny failed for him, and most of the chassis was well worn. Being a VW mechanic, I had a lot of stuff at my disposal, so when given enough time, I did it. Here "it" is. The making of the Alpine Westy...

Full Teutonix Wasserboxer engine overhaul (with water pump, Conti belt, Sachs clutch, pilot bearing, most emission hoses, ALL fuel injection hoses incluing those built onto the injectors), full tune-up (with all Bosch components including oxygen sensor, cap, rotor, wires, filters, etc.). Estimated price of this package, $2,200.00

Freshly overhauled 5 speed transaxle with a special 4.83:1 ring & pinion from German Transaxle in Bend, Oregon (it must go back for warranty replacement of 3rd synchro). The shifter box has been properly updated for the six gates and the reverse lockout. The shifter has also been overhauled with new bushings and linkage and dust bellows. New 5 speed factory shift knob. This transaxle option costs right at three thousand dollars alone.

All new brakes including new front rotors, bearings and seals, new rear drum on one side, and new rear bearings and seals packed with Valvoline synthetic wheel bearing grease. The PO had left off a lot of brake hardware from the front discs (available from dealer only), and I had to buy what was missing and install it.

The tires were four different sizes, so they were replaced (bent rims were discarded) with Sumitomo HTR 70 185/70 HR 14 radials. I am seriously impressed with these tires. Three of the old plastic wheel covers are still around somewhere, but I installed the Beetle style which I prefer anyway. It looked great on the German versions. All four ball joints and one of the tie rod ends were replaced as well as a pair of the A-arm bushings. The front shocks were replaced with KYB GR-2 units.

The radiator fan thermoswitch was replaced, both of the coolant tanks were replaced, the weepy rear heater core and valve were both replaced (both costly dealer only items), the engine temperature sensor (for the computer) was replaced, the air flow meter (Bosch) was replaced, the right side CV boots were replaced, and ALL of the joints were repacked and rotated, the clutch slave cylinder was replaced (ATE unit), the sliding door was repaired with the new nylon guide and a used kickout spring, the ignition switch was replaced, the driver's headlight was replaced with a halogen unit, the dented driver's door was replaced with a used unit which was sandblasted and repainted inside and out and was fitted with new window scrapers and new vent window frame. The windshield was badly pitted, so a new one was installed, the driver's mirror was replaced, the wiper blades are new Bosch, and the stereo is a new Pioneer detach face AM/FM/cassette with CD changer controls (no CD changer, but I'll let YOU fix that).

The big bonus on this Camper is that I built a trailer hitch receiver/ humongo bumper for it from 3/16" 2X6" steel rect. tubing. It is totally enclosed and can be used as a reservoir for compressed air if a valve stem is installed. It has a class III trailer hitch receiver that will hold things like a trailer hitch, bike rack, rear cargo platform, etc. Everyone who sees this bumper says something like, "that's not going anywhere!", or "I'd sure hate to rear end you.". It is painted Pastelweiss like the rest of the vehicle, as is the tow bar ADAPTER/BUMPER mounted to the front of the vehicle for the Draw-Tite universal 5000lb tow bar . The vehicle was in no way altered to fit either of these items, everything is bolt-on.

The rear shocks have been replaced with air-shocks from the Syncro application in the Pep-Boys book. They work as advertised and they don't release the springs from their perches like I thought they might since the Syncro has more suspension travel. The only drawback is a slight "clunk" from the rear end over serious bumps/joints in the road. The horn was replaced with a hi/lo Cabriolet style horn. This rig has no "beep-beep" noise, it says "honk" :-)

All of this has been done in the last six months. I built this one to keep, but I can't. I need the money. All parts mentioned in this posting are new except where specifically stated used.

All of the camping equipment is present and usable (with the exeption of the Water pump for the sink. It runs, but won't pump), including, both tables and pedestals, rear screen curtain, camping connector cord (with 30Amp adapter), camping connector hose, all of the curtains. I have installed a Schumacher 1.5 Amp battery charger in the camper that trickle charges the battery whenever the camper is plugged into the grid (110). This enables one to listen to the stereo, read using the dome, etc. The sink works just fine with city water. The fridge and stove work flawlessly.

The Battery is new Interstate 41-60 month (the big, good one with roadside service and a five-year warranty).

The jack, wrench, and spare are present and serviceable.

The motor got synthetic 20w50 after break-in 5mos ago.

This vehicle shows 167,000 mi. and the odometer works. With all of the work done in the last six months, that shouldn't scare anyone because all of the components that are suspect at that mileage are brand new on this vehicle.

This vehicle has two isolated rusty areas (the rust is not structural at this point). One is just around the jack point behind the pass. door, the other is on top of the front bumper beam under where the bumper would be without the tow bar adapter (about three inches). I didn't have time to fix these, and I'm not about to now as I am already losing a fortune on this now that I am forced to sell it.

If I were going to keep it, I would replace the sink pump, replace the muffler (it has a loose baffle inside and is starting to really get on my nerves), and do some minor bodywork.

I am asking $6000.00 firm. Serious inqiries only, delivery is included within reason. Until Tuesday, we're in Maryland, next week we'll be in Georgia. In the next few weeks I will pull the tranny and send it off to Oregon unless someone wants to pull it and send it off themselves and pay me $350.00 less for it.

My figure is higher than bluebook, but you won't find this little number in the bluebook, I can assure you.

The Alpine Westy can climb hills at speed with its' 4.83:1 rear. The perfect gear is always there for any load or speed. 5000 RPM comes at 20mph in 1st, 32mph in 2nd, 50mph in 3rd, 72mph in 4th, and slight overdrive in 5th. It climbs mild inclines in 5th with ease.

This is the one that you wannabussers have been waiting for! Just buy most of the parts that I have put into this Westy in the last 6 mos (for $6000.00), and I will throw in the Alpine Westy for free!

I will wait a little while to hear from some of you before I put it into the Auto Trader papers. I would rather someone who knew how special The Alpine Westy was get it than some newby who doesn't even have the good taste to belong to this list.

Ric Sherrod Vanagonut@aol.com