Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Sep 1996 09:23:39 -0800 (AKDT)
From:         "Dyen Fred D." <fffdd@aurora.alaska.edu>
Subject:      Re: Weddle Engineering, Locking Differentials Update and Parts Plea

Perhaps a bit overdue, but thought I should give an update on Weddle Engineering. I removed my transmission back in August (16th) for some warrenty work by German Transaxle and the installation of a Weddle Locker. Within 24 hours German Transaxle had the unit repaired, the Weddle Locker installed, and the assembly ready to ship. Then they received a call from John Weddle regarding a bad batch of gears. As luck would have it - I ended up with the bad gears. The good news is that it wasn't shipped to Fairbanks and installed in my vehicle. The bad news is that my transaxle is still in Bend, Oregon waiting for a Weddle Locker.

The latest news from Weddle Engineering is that it will be at least 30 days before they can supply a locker. In my case that was the main reason I elected to send the transmission out, as the warrenty problem - slipping out of first gear on hard deceleration was something I could live with. I made sure that German Transaxle had the Locker in stock before I sent out my transaxle - but sometimes things go wrong.

I have nothing but praise for both companies. German Transaxle offered to modify my transmission for the same price as the Weddle Locker and install a VW syncro locker. I have decided against this as my wife is the primary driver and is not excited about needing to slow to 5 miles per hour to engage the locking differential. Additionally, I would need to secure, purchase, and install the vacuum control system.

My plea is simple - if anyone has an older Weddle locker that is not currently being used, I could sure use one to get my vehicle back on the road. the Van is jacked up outside (as my garage is not tall enough to allow the transmission replacement. Last night we had our first snow. The way the weather goes, in 30 days, I'll be installing the transmission in a blizzard.

Thanks, Fred