Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Sep 1996 16:59:40 -0500
From:         "Thomas D. Hanlon" <HANRAN.INC@internetmci.com>
Subject:      McGee: Fuel leaking and Odometer retired

-- [ From: Thomas D. Hanlon * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

Me Gee writes about fuel leaking and inoperative odometer:

I suggest that the two items are coincidental. I have no guess on the odometer.

On the fuel leaking, most likely, as I have experienced recently, the vent pipe connecting, above the gas tank, is broken at one of the junctures of the one of the two "Y's" which feed the expansion tanks, one in each wheel well and the expansion vent in the gas tank. The fitting is another use of plastic by VW and it probably has dried out and failed.

You can check the condition of the pipe(s) by feeling the lines leading into the expansion tanks (the 1/2", more or less that you mentioned) and in to one of two places on the top of the gas tank. Feel for a "Y" connection into each of the expansion tanks and into the gas tank. There is a small line and a larger line into the "Y". If one of the "Ys" is broken, you can replace the four-outlet pipe without removing the gas tank. It is one unit, and the two "Y" fittings are pressure mounted to form one unit. The part at the VW dealer is about $33.00, including grommets. The fitting of the grommets, I'm told, is a "pryout the olds and insert the news" FITTED ONTO THE NEW PIPE BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO INSERT THE NEW. As has been written, it is a "strong hands" job, aided by some graphite lubricant on the rubber grommets.

Raise the vehicle in the safe manner. Turn the wheels, first one way and then the other, and wrestle the piping as described above, one side then the other.

As a field expediency, before a 4,000 mile round trip from Texas - Idaho in my '84 Westy, I "corked" the broken vent line at the "Y" on the tank top, literally, with a cork from a salt shaker, and I used blessed duct tape to seal off the small end of the "Y" after blocking it with an eraser from a mechanical pencil.

The above arrangement limits the amount of gas to be introduced in a fill- up to about 10 gallons, but you can avoid the unsafe spill while you order the part from the VW dealer. I found no substitute for the part.

I have yet to install the new part. Let me know if the technique I've described solves the problem.

Best regards,

Tom Hanlon Austin, TX