Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Sep 1996 22:18:13 -0700 (MST)
From:         vanbondo@primenet.com (Rusty VanBondo)
Subject:      Jerome Jamboree Report

Bottom line: "Wunnerful~a~wunnerful!" *Excellent weekend!*

On Friday I tried to sneak away from the job after a measley eight hours. Honk!, per the usual, some hoser scheduled a late Friday interview in which I had to sit... and sit etc. I dinged the candidate and bailed on home (heh).

Friday night: After a billion stops, Paula and I were able to crawl out of Phoenix by 9PM. One of the last stops was the local Safeway super market. The neighborhood is "nice enough" to be blessed with rent a cops in the parking lots. I guess a rash of Ding-dong jackings or something... I noticed that an overly attentive guard was hovering around us as we loaded the hoards of ice, enough beer for a Ray Milland weekend, and some real groceries into the Vanagon. Kiddingly, I asked "Moojibur" if he wanted to come with us. (It was a velvet hammer way of asking for space and I was just being a wiseguy). The guy proceeds to go off saying that he gets off work at 6AM and would we wait? He then started in on the life story starting at day one. "Uh, OK dude, Like can we stay with your family until you get off work? No? well maybe next time... He responds with requests for pen and paper in order to give the phone number etc. Um, sorry pal fresh out. It sounds like we were rude but trust me, I handled it like a softie. WE FINALLY crawled up the hills to Jerome. Our intent was to arrive Friday night in order to help with the arrivals of the caravan crazies who would arrive sometime Saturday morning. When we rolled in fresh as a flower at midnight, were simply dumbfounded to find nearly 35 buses already camped! Of course we made no secret of wanting to get a good camp spot this year. At the last two Jamborees, we had the privelage of randomly picking the spot next to the loud folks two years in a row. All worked out and a dry high ground spot was decided on. We were supposed to find "Buckwilde", his Mrs., and cutie baldie baby with the pretty eyes. Dark is an understatement mixed with quasi-fog, we gave up and just parked. The tent was pitched and we crashed in total exhaustion. Sprinkles turned to all out havoc at 5AM. It rained and boomed thunder and flashed lightning right over head so hard that it rocked the bus. The whole campground was wide awake and howling with amazing cheers. Saturday: Muddy and coolish to the Phoenix crowd. (Hurray!) A steady stream of vehicles continuously poured into the event all day long. 26 clubs (not counting Thom's favorite SOTO) were in attendance from AZ, Cali, NM, TX, CO and other parts unknown. It was a great mixture of all ages and models of VWs. Lots of them! It was packed. Snivel kids and Grand folks alike. Special thanks to the Box on Wheels, VTO~Vintage Transporters Owners from California, The NM Route 66 Splits, and "Great" Dane Dawson from El Paso. Long distance was from extreme NorCal or S. Oregon <specific for this event>. A couple of Beavis and Butthead types drove from SanFrancisco in a '65 Type I totally unprepared for camping. They sat there saying "Dude" alot and talking about where to sleep and how to eat. We took pity and fed the pigeons all weekend. (Being a former pigeon, I understand). The Chili Contest was won by "Cherry VanBondo"! Her Machaca beef "Chalupa" was killer but not killer hot. A combo of her good cooking and my "Come to Jesus" invitation for votes. =) I supose I could preach if I wasn't so warped. Proper amounts of campfires and fun was had by all Saturday evening. We shared our fire and conversation with Mr.and Mrs. John Kyte from the Vintagvw "aircooled" list. Several real "characters" also popped in and out. heh, heh, heh. Sunday: The Celebrity Auction was held. An original autographed VanBondo cartoon fetched $20.00, a mystery package from Paul Newman went for a wild $150.00. It ended up being an autographed T-shirt for Newman's Best. The Celeb Aution alone raised over $1000.00 for the Foundation for Burns and Trauma's "Camp Courage." Contact Arizona Bus Club President, Jon S. <during polite hours MST> at (602)877-8662 if you wish to send in a late tax deductible "bid." An extensive raffle was held through out Saturday and Sunday. The big prize went to a very very stoked young kid who was a longtime wannabusser. For $50.00 in raffle tickets he drove home in his '59 7-door panel bus. He had failed to win a thing for his efforts up until the big one. Way to go! It had been a long time since I had seen anyone that genuinely excited about their luck! =) It might be BS <bus story> but word that a barndoor might be raffled next year. I will advise accordingly. If not, Im sure that the club will come up with a nice alternative. Dyer Lytle, Buckwilde, John Kyte and several others from the lists were at the meet! Maybe next year you can join us!