Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Sep 1996 12:19:05 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@interport.net>
Subject:      VW Parts Retailing

Somebody sent me this recently and I thought it was instructive enough to forward to the list (probably the air cooled list too for that matter if somebody wants to forward there). I am not involved in this area, really, so don't respond to me personally on this issue.

They preferred to not to be be identified but said the reposting to the list was OK in the interest of airing the issues.

> [...]

>>As for the issues discussed, I have the idea that you would take the Overland catalog each month, add a suitable markup (I promise not to repost the Overland prices :-) ), and post to the list the catalog under your name (or Overland's) with whatever other parts you have for sale that you want to mention. We'd love it.<<

SUPPLIER COMMENT: I would have a hard time ethically doing something like that. I've thought of doing it. Gave it alot of thought. I've done it piecemeal before and while receiving favorable comments from some, there were others who privately expressed their opinion that it was tacky. I really don't want to make either List appear commercial. I'm not trying to please everybody, just trying to exercise the best judgement call I can make. The appropriate place for something like that would be a Website/Webpage (or pages) which would be updated periodically (like once a month, say the 15th?). I have such a plan in the works and hope to have it up and running sometime this year, hopefully late in the fall/early winter.

>>I think there is a difference between the air-cooled market and the water-cooled market. I've never seen anything like these Overland prices in the water-cooled market and I think there is a real pent-up demand for water-cooled parts at these prices.<<

SUPPLIER COMMENT: I agree to a point that there is a difference between both markets. Problem is that there's alot of "grey area", vis-a-vis some of the advertisers that wanna make that fast buck like they did with the air cooled stuff. They're finding that the Wasserboxer crowd is a different breed and don't take well to "shark" tactics. WCM has made a darn good inroad into the market in regards to rubber and plastics for them.

____________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY drew@interport.net DerekDrew@aol.com (backup; rarely checked) '90 Syncro Westfalia... ...seen off-road at http://www.anet-dfw.com/~ddes/vw/drew/index.html