Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Sep 1996 12:14:38 -0400
From:         David E Most <most@gibbs.oit.unc.edu>
Subject:      water pump report

Thanks to all those who responded to my request seeking advice. This is the first repair I've had someone else do, but I believe I've found a good mechanic in Greeley, CO. He had much knowledge to share and didn't mind taking the time to share it. If he knew anything about computers, I think he'd make a good resource for info on our list.

Regarding the water pump, he recommended that I stay away from the western auto rebuild....said they had to many problems even though they have lifetime warranty. He instead installed a GRAF pump which, though made in Italy, has english and german on the box. THe cost was about $98 for the pump and 2hours labor. I would have liked to have done the job myself, but I live 30 miles from where I work, and I didn't want to drive it much more. Since the owner/mechanic of the shop lives in the same town as me, he drove me home when I dropped of the vanagon. It gave me a chance to ask about oil filters and leaky head gaskets.

ANyway, thanks for the help as ususal. The engine sounds nice and quiet once again, and I'm ready to take it back up to 14000feet.

david