Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 03 Sep 1996 19:39:10 -0400
From:         John Anderson <vwbus@netbiz.net>
Subject:      Re: Columbus Day Mid-Atlantic Camp-out?

Tom Forhan wrote: > > Great idea, Steve. > > Going back to Elizabeth Furnace would be fantastic, as it will be > prime fall colors and very beautiful. However Skyline Drive will be > literally bumper-to-bumper with leaf peepers, and I'd suggest finding

I am definitely in this time any way round, but I might interject that Southern WV will be spectacular and perhaps less saturated with leaf-watchers. My personal idea is a foray down to the Cass scenic railroad, (geared Shay and maybe now a Climax locomotives climb an old logging route to 2500+ feet) and some time in Monongahela Natl Forest. A bonus here is a nearly new Natl Forest Service Campground at Scenaca Rocks (3-4 years old the nicest showers I have seen at $10/night) as well as the 1'st and 2'nd highest points in the state all within a days drive of each other, and all spectacular for hiking, camping, and possibly off-roading though I'm not about to try in the '81. Greenbank Natl Radio Observatory 30 minutes from Cass as well and some of the new dishes are spectacular engineering feats. Anyway we're talking a start point about say 3.5 hours west then south of D.C. (at say air cooled Westy speed) and some of the most spectacular mountain scenery one will find, course I'm prejudiced and I just did Skyline 2 weeks ago.

John (who will coordinate if people have interest) vwbus@netbiz.net too many Buses in the yard when I last looked.