Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         22 Sep 96 16:16:16 EDT
From:         "Turner,Ronald L." <102660.66@CompuServe.COM>
Subject:      Hot VW's "Type2 the series"- what happened?

Hi, all- I just got my new November issue of Hot VW's, you know, the one with the bikini clad blonde with the huge ..... uh, uh, hair ( yeah that's it , huge hair?) standing in front of the red Notch, on the cover. (whew!) Anyway, I was hoping for sure Rich Kimball was going to resume his "Type2, the series" article in this issue,after a 2 month unexplained hiatus. But upon thumbing thru the contents,I was again disappointed. What's up Rich, and Bruce Simurda? Don't VW buses exist after 1971? I really get the impression that the SoCal VW "Gurus" don't acknowledge, and look down upon the type 4 engined buses. This series started by going over a year of the type2 each month, starting with the early '50 model type2's. Each month there was a description of that particular year bus and all body / mechanical changes from the previous year. Charlie Hamill oversaw the splittie years, and every detail from year to year was scrutinized, never missing an issue. The series was supposed to continue to the '79 model, but I detected a loss of interest on the writer's part (Bruce) in the last bug-engined bus, '71 model. A '72 description did follow, but '73's - 2 months overdue and riddled with incorrect information, was the last one ever written. Unfortuneately, this seems to exemplify a bias among the writing staff. I, for one, have buses of all years, from my '67 deluxe splitty to my late '70's baywindow type 4 engined Westy's, on up to my '84 and '87 wasserboxers, and accept each one for what it is - a VW van- regardless of engine type and cooling methods. ( I am even starting to get used to the front engined EV's though it took awhile) Anyway, I was looking forward to following the series thru the late '70's and up to '79, and am very disappointed that the writer has lost interest. In fact, it was the late bus that has gone thru more technological changes thany any other bus prior, and so on the contrary, there should be even more info to write about.

If the writer has lost interest, or if those years are not his particular field of expertise, then get somebody else to finish the job, and continue the series.

chris