Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Sep 1996 16:34:11 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@interport.net>
Subject:      Syncro Binds In Tight Turns--VC Suspect

Are there any VANAGON VISCOUS VETERANS out there? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------- sorry if you get this message twice ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------- I ignored a thread earlier this year about the syncro binding in tight turns because I knew from experience that all syncros do this a little. There is a sensation of Viscous Coupling fighting the turn.

But lately my binding has gotten really bad--enough to stall the motor or stop the car from rolling, even when on a steep hill. Then binding is intermittant, however, with it being present one day, and absent the next. Sometimes I hear grinding noises, as though two little cooking unlubricated woks were being swiveled around in opposite directions while being pressed together.

Searching the Archives yielded the incredible single mention of this problem from our Al Knoll who said that this symptom will get worse over time in the event of a failure of the Viscous Coupling ($1,800 part plus labor).

It seems odd to me that the viscous coupling would get *more* active rather than less in the event of a failure.

**Has anybody else had a bad viscous coupling except for Al?

**Where the symptoms as described here?

I spoke to Dennis Haynes this morning, and he suggested, not entirely seriously, that if the symptoms were to get worse, that it would be to my advantage since I am off road so much and it would make the 4WD system come in sooner than otherwise. But I have a problem which is the ending of my warranty period in January, so I have to diagnose this fast. Right now, the problem comes so tentatively and intermittantly, that I doubt I could reproduce it for the dealer.

Dennis Haynes suggested trying the Viscous Coupling test suggested in the manual, in which the rear wheels are off the ground and the car is set to idle in gear. The viscous coupling is supposed, at a very low idle, to allow the front wheels to stay on the ground while the rear wheels are off the ground. Increasing the rev is supposed to heat up the viscous juice, and pull the car forward.

The test then becomes the rpm point at which the front wheels grab hold and lurch the vehicle forward off the jack stands in the rear, I suppose. Dicy setup.

___________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY drew@interport.net (main address for e-mail) derekdrew@aol.com (alternate/backup, checked infrequently)