Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Sep 1996 15:05:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Steven Johnson" <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: CCC's lost & found (fwd)

So Malcolm Holser says: > > I guess all of the busses made it up the hill -- we saw none on the side. > We even made it up going the speed limit the whole way! Sure glad the > road has a 15 mph limit -- that was ours as well. We were not so popular > on the Tioga Road out of Lee Vining. Fifteen doesn't seem to cut it with > the other drivers there.

Hey Malcolm,

Glad you and the family made it okay. I had the same uphill (so-what-else- is-new) as you. Used the pull-outs as much as possible. Got some 'thank- you' waves from some, some others probably wanted me to make a sharp left of the embankment. Oh well, 20 - 25mph is not too bad. Sometimes first gear was the only one I could go forward in after some of the pull-outs!

Really good campout Kath/Mark! Kudos also to Martha and her new TDI toy. Linda and I had a great time even though I was sleepy most of the time. :)

Did the Devils Postpile thing and the hot showers were a little hotter than I cared for, but Linda loved it. Saturday nights potluck Mexi dinner was fabulous!

Linda and I also used our Propex propane heater for the first time. Runs and feels great when I have battery power. And as I was reminded of several times while there, I need an aux. battery. Well, I knew in advance that I'd probably have battery problems because when I worked in the evening to get the heater in and hooked up, I had the rear light on and after only a couple hours work, the battery was dead. I knew then that my original battery was nearing the end of it's life. And I've been mulling the aux. battery issue over and I finally think I know which way to go on what to use which is 2 6V T105's by Trojan which was suggested by Bradley at the campout. The original battery provided power for most of both nights although Linda kept wanting to turn up the heat while I cautioned that little heat would be better than none at all. So I think next time, the battery power will be a non-issue and we'll be plenty comfortable. I'll probably be too hot the way Linda wants it. :(

Thanks to Jeff Schneider and Bret ??? friend of someones for the jump starts. And thanks to those that offered too.

Steven Sacramento, CA sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com