Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Sep 1996 01:38:44 -0600
From:         jscohen@m2.sprynet.com (James Cohen)
Subject:      Re: TIRES FOR '91 WESTY SYNCHRO

>At 10:37 AM 9/23/96 -0500, you wrote: >>I'm the ecstatic new owner of a primo condition white '91 Westy Synchro with >>47k miles. It's my first synchro after having owned three Westies (two '72s >>and one '84 Wolfsburg) and a '62 Bug. Will need to put new tires on it and >>would appreciate suggestions for a good on and off-road tire that can get me >>out of the Colo. rockies, down to southern Mexico (Oaxaca) and around steep >>dirt roads, sometimes muddy. Good gas mileage might be a consideration, >>too. if that's a factor in tire selection. >> >The consensus seems to be BFG Radial All Terrain T/A, size 27 850 14. The >best price I've seen is mail order for $78 ea incl tax + $48 shipping for a >set (call 1 800 589 6789). Be sure to get a 5th tire for spare, this is a >syncro requirement. This is primariily an off-road tire, but has good >highway characteristics according to many on the list with this tire. I'm >running Michelin LTX 195 75 14 on my syncro Westy, but I don't do a lot of >steep muddy roads. > >-Mark McCulley

I love those Michelins which were rated #2 by Consumer Reports last Jan(?). But the #3 tire was the same Michelins with the All Terrain tread! I think they're called the LTX AT but I'm not positive. BFG were rated fairly low by CR so I'd stick with the Michelins. I got mine at Tire Rack for $79.

James

New York City, and Williamstown Ma

Alternate address: stirling@aol.com (which gets checked more often)

Red '93 Corrado VR6 SLC (Highly modified) Red '87 GTI (mostly modified) (soon to be a G60!) and '67 deluxe split window (9 pass.) '71 Westy Breadloaf (high performance engine B&B) '81, '85 Westy Vanagons '83 9 passanger Vanagon '66, '74 busses (decomposing) ----------------------------------------------------------