Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Sep 1996 21:22:40 PST
From:         chawk@juno.com (j g shepard)
Subject:      I think I'm going to scream!

I've put 235 miles on my rebuilt engine. Much to my dismay, I discovered a coolant leak. NO PROBLEM, I thought to myself. I'll pressure test it an locate the leak and fix the problem. A cursory glance revealed a possible leaky head nut but upon closer examination it seams as though I have a cracked "rebuilt head". I'm very pissed needless to say. After all the snafus I had with parts suppliers, machine shop boneheads and other misc. screwups, I'm wondering if it is all worth it. This all started in June. Here's what happend:

1. Buy 88 wolfsburg Vanagon w/blown engine $1200 2. Remove engine/disassemble/inspect parts/make list of parts needed 3. Take engine case to machine shop to get broken stud removed (while there, machine shop bead blasts case because it didn't look clean) 3. Order parts 4. Head studs back ordered (can't get them for two weeks) 5. Receive parts but I get the wrong camshaft 6. Get correct camshaft the next week 7. Finally get all the grit out of my case (I hope!!) 8. Begin assembly of bottom end 9. begin to install cylinders but discover I missing an O-ring from my gasket set. 10. Call gasket set supplier to get O-ring for bottom of cylinder (BTW It was $15 from dealer) No problem "will send it priority mail today" 11. 3 days later, no Oring. 12. Go to Oring store and buy 10 for $5 13. Finally finish engine rebuild 14. Install engine, Test drive, Runs great 15. Start to smell coolant when I get out of the van 16. Find leak-cracked head between headnut and #4 sparkplug 17. Get pissed 18. Call Fast German Auto 19. Very helpful but I'm still pissed 20. Drink very large margarita

I'll let y'all know what happens!

Justin I just want to enjoy my first Vanagon!