Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Sep 1996 22:28:12 -0500
From:         stanwild <stanwild@airmail.net>
Subject:      Re: VW Engine Paint

Try your local HOT ROD SHOP, High Temp Headder paint works real good, make surte the parts are clean. You do know !!!! ?. Painting your cylinders will make them run hotter. ------------------------------------end----------------------------- > >I've read your articles on veedubes with great interest because I'm > overhauling an '81 >2000cc Vanagon engine and I want to do it correctly. Your > articles are great! I noticed >your article about engine paint and can't find > a good medium temperature paint in dull >black. An auto paint store has Vulux > brand 2 part paint in gloss black that is good to >about 300 to 350 F. > >What brand and type of paint do you use on the case and cylinders? Please > give me a >shout. > >Thank you, > >Phil > > Phil, > > The Rustoleum Flat Black paint I use on Type I/III crankcases, which are of > magnesium alloy, is not suitable for use on the Type IV crankcase, which is > an aluminum alloy. To form a satisfactory, low 'resistance' bond between > cast aluminum and paint, the aluminum must be etched. There are special > aircraft primers for this purpose and I know racers running Type IV > power-plants can afford to go the extra mile, but given the excellent cooling > of the Type IV, and the higher resistance to corrosion of the aluminum > crankcase, for a stock Type IV engine the wiser choice for someone rebuilding > just a single engine would be to leave the aluminum crankcase UNPAINTED. If > you used the wrong etchant you could precipitate future problems with > corrosion and cracking, and if you use flat black paint without etching, it > will come off in a couple of weeks. > > The benefits of painting the cast-iron cylinders however is valid for all > types of air-cooled VW engines. I've posted an article covering the > procedure in the 'sermon' fine. I believe the article is titled 'Jugs'. > > Since the question of painting Type IV crankcases has come up a couple of > times before I'm going to make this a general post. > > -Bob