Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Sep 96 15:08:43 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Unca Joel goes West: Part 2

Part 2: the Fuzzy Weekend.

The Day Dawns. it is the Crack of Noon. someone is inconsiderately breathing and talking outside. people are moving around. there is this light blue sky poking and prodding my eyeballs. groan.

so here it is Friday, and i'm in Mammoth Lakes, California, in some dusty little place called Pumice Flats Group Campground, or, at signs would later describe it, CCC Central. there are other buses here, and a Honda (gasp!) and a filthy dusty little black Passat station wagon. hmmmm. how'd THAT get in here. :)

i don't recall much of that first day. seems like a lot of folks showed up or were already here. food and sustenance must have surely been brought or sought out ... i.e., i didn't starve. :) but it's all kinda hazy in my mind. at sometime or other, someone mentioned hot showers and off we went in Martha's little Passat. hot them showers were, too, i tell you! bubbling up somewhere from under the ground and piped into some really prison-looking "showers". ;) well, hell ... i've used some that were LOTS worse looking than this! and besides, anybody that that is preverted enuff to look in MY shower window deserves what they get! :) but they were hot. hot water. yessireebob. hot hot hot. which kinda makes me think: ya know, we wuz kinda like maybe sitting on top of some like volcano-stuff??? hmmmmm. how about Florida for the next trip?? :) all we have to worry about there is sand fleas and hurricanes.

since i can't remember what, if anything, we "did" that day, i'll just put the folks that i think i recall showing up:

Me. of course. otherwise, how would i remember being there?? :) Dave Schwarze. he slept upstairs. where it was warm. had to be. cause it was cold downstairs. he doesn't snore. but the clock in his bus makes this incessant clicking!!! :) Martha "wanna drive my new car" Rubin. over in the newly-painted Westfalia condo parked next door. lots of screaming and giggling from over there. she looks like Beverly Sills, the opera singer. Sarah. Martha's daughter. the only one with any real legal claims of "adolescence". the rest of us just acted that way. Bradley "burn, baby, burn" Magnesium. severely hampered by an injured wrist, he could manage only mildly abuse and torture Sarah and Martha. Dave had to help at times. looks like a skinny Peter Ustinov. Scott Harvey and Alice. he looks like somebody in Top Gun (val kilmer's backseater). everybody looks like someone else. Brett (?). scott's cousin? well, that's what someone told me and i was punchy enough to write it down. i think that's my writing. Jeff Schneiter. camping in the tent down by the Honda. primitive. some people. :) something scribbled here about dogs? Eric and wife? no bus. Jetta?? looks like Robert DeNiro. works in Mojave, with/on/near airplanes. i like airplanes. :) Bren, kid Kyle, dog Sallie. Sallie is outweighed by the golden retrievers Bianca and Calvin, but she seems to be having fun. i think they showed up in a Honda Civic. hmmmmmmmmmmm. Ron Lussier, Ely, and Den all crammed into a pristine white 91 camper. a bunch of mountain bikes on the back. some people are just gluttons for punishment! he reminds me of Neamiah Persov (a dramatic actor back in the 50's and 60's). Ely and Den are kids. Beavis and Butthead but with manners. they keep calling me "Sir". irritating. ;) Steve Johnson and wife Linda. he looks like Teddy Roosevelt. must be the hat. ;) Scott Allred and Maggie showed up in their 71 camperized bus. 8 hours from Las Vegas. they came the "civilized route" further north of the torture trail we took over the mountain. he looks like the hubby on "Unhappily Ever After" or something like that. where the character talks to a stuffed bunny with the voice of Bobcat Goldthwaite. she looks like Ellen of the Ellen show. with red hair. Jack Stafford (who looks like Richard Attenborough) in his orange 73 camper. had lots of neat pictures of the Inuvik trip. Al Hubbard. camping out of a Jetta. more primitive gluttons for punishment. ;) Dennis Gentry and Shelia in an 81 camper. Grizzly Adams. he has to sleep with his feet on the dashboard. :) <he's a little taller that the rest of humanity> Beth and Lisa, from Los Angeles. Wannabusers. came to see just what sort of idiots they'd been talking to. ;) Beth reminds me of someone on a tv show, but i can't recall who ... sort of like Barbie, but not that close. more primitive tent campers. they were smarter, however, and got closer to the toilets. Jim Davis and family. the only Syncro to show up. didn't help much cause there wasn't any mud for him to play in. :) Monty and Hallie with kids Jackson and Charlie, in their Country Homes camper. charlie was just scoping everything out. quiet kid. gonna be governor some day. ;) Kayty Myers and Mark Blanchard in Her Majesty (i thought that was the dog's name!), a bright shiney purple 68 bus with the interior of a fancy living room. no kidding. plush upscale interior. the dog's name was Bianca (i think). oh, yeah. i think they had a blue Subaru wagon, too. four-wheel-drive skateboard. ;) they were from Mammoth Lakes, a whole twenty minutes away. :) John Huguenard and Carol and Jill (the kid). another quiet kid. don't you Californians every have screaming kids?? sheesh! he reminds me of Frank Oz (the Muppets). Malcolm Holser, Mollie, and kids Dylan, Colin, and Ian. another 81 camper. Kevin (visits) (looks like Charlton Heston) and his blue/white 63 split window bus with gauges all over the dash and a huge oil cooler on the roof. Beth, Mary, and somebody else with some dogs. in a brown 80 camper. we ran into them at Devil's Postpile and they camped Saturday night. they'd only had the bus for about a week.

if i've left anyone out, i'm sorry. my scribbling isn't very legible right now and my memory is still fuzzy.

somewhere along the way, Friday turned into Saturday, and in the process, a lot of firewood got consumed in the fire pit. and a half of an engine. brightly shines the Magnesium, especially when someone pours beer on it! :) bright, like a welding torch.

other scattered, rambling notes and thoughts: Carl's Jr. Great Western Bacon Cheeseburger. bacon and onion rings AND barbecure sauce on a burger?? but they have a really good "ordinary" burger. ;) mountains. big steep hills made out of rocks. BIG hills. steep roads. and people LIVE up here!!! and the people who drew the maps ought to be shot. they lie!!! them roads are not nearly as straight as they are drawn. gasoline. $1.589 a gallon. and no shame when they take the money! that's for R87 unleaded, by the way. i'd hate to have a car that required Premium. cold. quite warm in the daytime with the sun shining on you. but cold cold cold at night and in the "morning" before the sun crept over the top of the mountain. shadows are cold out here. i didn't bring enough blankets. :(