Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Sep 96 15:09:37 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Unca Joel goes West: Part 3

Part 3: Homeward Bound

Sunday. everybody's up. poof-zoom. everybody's gone!! boy, this crowd can un-ass a place in no time! :) we're one of the last to leave, struggling up the hill into Mammoth Lakes (the town). buy some gasoline, burgers, and down the mountain we go. hi ho, hi ho, it's backward home we go! we pass a bus junkyard in Bishop. but it's closed. :(

several cops around Olancha. navy or marine A-6 flies over near China Lake. we're heading straight down US-395 to Four Corners (rather than go back over that mountain!), then east to Barstow and Needles. slowly getting lower and lower in elevation, we stop for gas in Barstow after seeing a wildly painted 70 bus, all flowers and psychadelic paint, "Woodstock", "Flower Power", and such all over. the girl driving it rolls down her window and says (to us): "Nice Bus.". :) we call Rusty VanBondo in Phoenix and beg shelter for the night. we tell him we'll be there by 0100. actually, we just want to see this Rusto from Hell he keeps talking about. ;)

somewhere near Needles, we figure out that the time zone change is at the Arizona-California border, and that it's gonna be more like 0200 when we get there! and we're running late! groan. we talk to some truckers and they say that 95 is a better road south out of Needles. off we go in the dark. down to Vidal Junction, over to Earp and Parker, then down to Quartzsite, onto I-10 and into Phoenix.

good directions put us at Rusty's house pretty quick. not much traffic. porch light is on, rusty-looking single-cab and a white vanagon camper are parked in front. this must be the place. ring the doorbell. no answer. no frightened looks out of the windows. uh oh. :( we'd tried to call from some rest stop in california, but the phone service there (Unitec) was really bad. i tried 1-800-CALL-ATT and got no answer. so now i'm worried. ring doorbell a couple of more times. no dogs barking or any signs of life. finally, a sleepy-looking Rusty comes to the door. looks like Kurt Russell. with glasses. we clamber into his home and he shows us back to the garage. there it is: the bus. but it looks like it just came out of the dealer's showroom ... uh, well, ok, so it's not exactly all put back together. ;) but it looks NEW. hmmmm. not quite what i'd expected. we crash in the dog's room (poor dog). oh yeah, AZ never changes to daylight savings time, so it was only 0130 when we got there. a lucky break for all concerned.

morning comes too soon. Rusty's wife looks like Pam Dawber (Mindy of Mork & Mindy). none of us are awake. they have to go to work. we need to get on the road. or so i thought. ;) Rusty gives Dave the addresses of several junkyards and parts places, so armed with a map of Phoenix (well, we had to buy gas anyway!), off we go. the next four or five hours are spent finding, surveying, and checking out junked buses in the dry hot Phoenix junkyards, all of which seem to be somewhere around the airport and a big wide dry riverbed. one fellow has probably 50 buses, but also has a really bad attitude: $350 for a used transmission. we move on. Dave doesn't find his tranny, but we buy a bunch of small stuff. $20. then back on the interstate and eastward.

Phoenix toward Tucson, then Lordsburg, NM, and we stop in Las Cruces, NM for the night. finally find a decent price on a motel. walk next door to the Holiday Inn for food, but they are nearly closed and don't seem to want to wait on us. but it works out ok: they screw up our orders and decide to charge us for only one meal.

up the next day, and headed to El Paso. wasted some time in some stores looking for an altimeter ... they got everything else, but no altimeters!!

do you have any idea how big Texas is?? well, if you don't, let me tell you: it's BIG. WIDE. LONG. a fer piece from one side to the other. and it takes a looooooooong time to drive it. drive, gas, drive, gas, drive, gas. oh, yeah. and eat once in a while somewhere in there. long about 0100 we reach the outskirts of Ft. Worth/Dallas. it's another hour or more before we reach "Dallas" proper and head up north to Dave's house. back at the garage, we have to move my bus out so Dave can move his Mustang so we can open the door to the house (ever seen three cars in a two car garage??). :) unpack my stuff and stuff it into my bus. crash on the sofa. one cat decides my leg is a scratching post. that didn't last long.

0930 - daylight streaming in the back window. uhhhhh, hey, Dave ... weren't you going to work?? yup. scurry, hurry, and everybody is out on the road. i stop for ice to cool the remaining sodas and food. 1000 is the official departure time. down to I-20 and east. fill up again in Monroe, LA. fix sandwiches and eat. back on the road. more cops trying to get my money ... i fool them. i have cruise control! nyah-ha-ha!!! sun goes down, power mirrors are still great. :)

20:00 and i'm back in Tookalooka. fill up with gas again and drive the three miles to my house. unload and scatter junk all over the house. pile the mail in the chair. check the email. groan.

it's finally about 0200 when i get to bed. it has been a looooong week.

would i do it again? hmmmmm. gimme a month to think about it. ;) was it fun? well ... yeah. i guess. i don't know if i'd describe all that driving as "fun" ... i wouldn't put it in the same category as mud-westling with naked wimmen, but then, it was more pleasureable than visiting the doctor (any doctor!). got to see lots of strange country that i hadn't seen in many years, some that i'd never seen; got to meet people in person that i'd only emailed before. of course, the downside of that is that they had to meet me! ;)

would i want to live in california? hmmmm. not in Mammoth Lakes. too high. too much snow (and you thought i wouldn't notice them snow-fences out by the highway!!!). Arizona, New Mexico?? nah, too dry. maybe the middle of Texas. east of where the grass starts growing again. Odessa or Midland. if i was a cowboy or an oil-poker. but i ain't, so i guess i'm stuck here. besides ... i'm too old to move/change. :(

well, anyway, that's my version of the trip. it probably ain't right or accurate, but that's the way i remember it. cept them two days at the campground are kinda fuzzy. but then, i'm kinda fuzzy. so it all fits together. :)