Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 03 Sep 1996 22:57:49 -0700
From:         vwmaster@volks-motorsports.com
Subject:      NAWWAL:  Trip Report from Ron Salmon  (LONG)

We're writing from Kyle Wade's computer here in Santa Cruz, having completed the first few days of our cross-country journey from Ca. to Pa. To recap, I bought an 83-1/2 Westy in Frisco (sight unseen), had the owner drop it off with Kyle at Volks Cafe, and had Kyle do all neccessary repairs & store it for several months until just now, when my wife and I flew here from Pa. to begin a 3-1/2 week cross-country journey home. (The reason for this arrangement was that my wife could only get about 3 weeks off from work, and we felt that this was not enough time to travel both ways cross country without rushing, but if we could fly one way and drive one way we'd have enough time.)

The NAWWAL tag on the header is by suggestion of a list member, and is based on the bumper sticker that now adorns the rear of the camper, "Not All Who Wander Are Lost" (a Tolkien quote).

We arrived on Friday, and Kyle met us at the airport in what is to be our rolling home for the next month. The Vanagon was pretty much what we expected. It is brush-painted, and apparantly went into a ditch sometime early in its life (several small dents and scrapes across the drivers side), but mechanically is in excellent shape, with only 90k miles, new heads, good brakes, exhaust, front-end, etc. The only thing wrong with it was a minor grind between 2nd and 3rd, which proved to be a problem, but more on that later.

Then it was back to Volks Cafe for a tour of the very impressive facilities, after which we left for San Francisco. Spent two days in the city (highly recommend the walking tour through S.F. outlined in the AAA tour book). Then a day in Wine Country, with a stop at a very beautiful Redwoods preserve. It is very humbling to be standing before a tree that has been growing in that spot since the year 800. Couldn't find a campsite anywhere due to the holiday weekend (which we expected), but nobody hassled us for pulling off on the side of the road and spending the night. (It was quite a relief to find a state campground with showers (!) on Monday - after all, a bus is a very confined space!)

The plan today was to spend the day in Santa Cruz on the way down the coast to Los Angeles, but the Vanagon had other ideas. Remember the grinding transaxle I mentioned above? Well, it decided to start sticking in 4th gear and reverse (refusing to leave those gears without a fight). Fortunately, we were not too far from Santa Cruz, and coaxed the van back there, where Kyle put in a good used transaxle that solved both the sticking and the aforementioned grinding. Now we plan to resume our trip to L.A. tomorrow, and from there to Vegas and the Grand Canyon. Since the transaxle was the only thing that was less than perfect at the outset, and it has now been replaced, we have high hopes for an uneventful (Volkswagen-wise) trip the rest of the way.

If we make it to another list member's home later in out trip, I'll post a follow up then.

Regards, Ron Salmon