Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Sep 1996 21:36:46 -0800 (AKDT)
From:         Chris Wyatt <cwyatt@gi.alaska.edu>
Subject:      Syncro shifting, & belt noise

My '87 Syncro GL is a little bit difficult to get into 2nd gear when it is cold (the vehicle and/or the weather). After warming, it slips into gear just fine. What might I do to improve the ease of shifting?

Also, a new water pump did not cure the squealing coming from that area when the engine is started cold. Yesterday I changed the belts (first time for me); how tight should they be? I could not find the recommended deflection in Bentley. Could a properly adjusted belt still make noise when cold? Any hints on how to adjust their tension are welcome. It carried us 100 miles in the snow today, so I at least installed them well enough to operate the van.

Lastly, does anyone know of modifications that would make the Vanagon a more Fairbanks winter-capable vehicle? It has a good grille cover, and that helps keep the coolant warm enough at -10 to make the defrost effective. But if it gets much colder that that, it never warms up, is difficult to steer and shift, and while this keeps the mileage down I would rather be able to use it more often in the winter. Building a wall behind the front two seats to trap heat hs been suggested, as well as insulating the coolant and power steering hoses along their long journey to the front of the van.

Thanks for any suggestions. Winter is here, and the studded tires are going on tomorrow...

By the way, I have forgotten who sent me the brake bleeding procedure, but it went smoothly. Thanks!

Chris Wyatt '87 Syncro GL