Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 09 Sep 1996 10:40:30 -0500
From:         Helen E. (Edie) Menkus <HEMENKU@westvaco.com>
Subject:      General EV & Vanagon Wolf quest.

Hello,

I joined this discussion group about a month ago, and am ashamed that I did not introduce myself earlier. I have been feeling a bit intimidated I am new to actually differentiating VW#s apart, but have had a love for them for over 20 years. I like the styles and interior design!

My family had several micro buses: 1959?35hp , 1963?50hp, and a 1960's beetle. I mainly remember the beetle and looking at pop-up buses. I have owned a beetle and fastback, but at the time, years didn#t really matter, just getting around. I loved the fastback. It was sort of sporty.

I have been observing the group trying to formulate information about VWs in general. What people like, dislike, and what the dealers are currently providing. I want to get a bus / semi-camper but have several questions.

What I want is a bus that: seats 7 to 8 fold down seats to form a bed table light over the table quick release seats to provide extra-room

I don#t need the Pop-up but find them neat. Wouldn#t mind a water reserve and hose sprayer. (I saw one of these in a 1995 full camper EV that Was accessed through the back entrance.)

Questions: Should I be concerned about purchasing a EV Weekender because there were so few made. Is there any reason to be afraid? The engine is an Audi? So, should parts be hard to come by if (forbid) there were problems?

What about a late model Vanagon Wolf. Edition (1991?) Are there other options that provide the features I like?

I don#t have lots of $ resources and I am not a mechanic. So I want a sound engine to begin with and now of any special needs or problems. For instance, I spoke with a lady this past weekend who owns a 1987 Vanagon Wolf. Ed. And loves it!! But, she told me of a situation about the water. Something about the overflow water reserve didn#t work and thus to be very careful about low water levels. That the engine is aluminum and pitted easily thus ruining the whole engine causing them to need to be rebuilt. She said that they were recalled (only if owner was aware) and that the dealer paid for part replacements but not labor. She wasn#t happy about this.

Any helpful comments are highly appreciated!

Edie Menkus GIS Network Analysis, (South Carolina) hemenku@westvaco.com mazda 1986 GLC wagon(import from Jap.)