Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Oct 96 20:11:32 EST
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu>
Subject:      FS:  '78 Bus

Hey all, With the purchase of my new '81, I can no longer keep my lovely '78 Bus, so I will post the ad here before it gets around campus and hits the papers.

'78 Bus. Approx. 170K miles painted white by previous owner. 7-passenger, brown interior

This bus is in excellent mechanical shape, the engine has been very reliable and has really been very trouble free.

The engine has new pushrod tube seals and new valve cover gaskets, but still leaks a bit of oil from the second sump plate where I've installed an oil temperature sender for the VDO oil temp gauge.

The body is largely very solid, with the exception of some surface rust on the lower part of the passenger door, the window ledge on the driver's door, a couple bubbles (not broken through paint yet) on the bottom of the sliding door, and one rust hole on the back panel that's immediately forward of the rear bumper. You can't see it unless you get right up there and look. I think there is also a little bit on the bottom edge of one of the side windows.

I've done lots of work to this bus: rebuilt alternator rebuilt starter/solenoid solenoid relay fix VDO oil temperature gauge w/ sump plate sender (comes with bus) restored wheels to original glory with silver paint restuffed both front seats brand spankin' new German lower speedometer cable it comes with an am/fm cassette player as well as 2 pioneer speakers in the front door panels (PO did it) new radio antenna like I said before, new pushrod tube seals new turn signal switch new hazard flasher switch new flasher relay (all due to a short in the old turn signal switch) I recently removed the seats and regreased the tracks I'm sure there's a bunch of other stuff I can't remember right now.

Pictures can be seen at http://www.mwc.edu/~sbart7kb/mybus.htm

Listmembers John Anderson (vwbus@netbiz.net), H. Steven Dolan (dworkin@ari.net), Paul Wies (pwies@loyola.edu), and Tom Forhan (can't remember his e-mail address) have all seen my bus and I'm sure they would be able to tell you their opinions about its condition.

Basically, it's a solid reliable bus that's been great to me but now I gotta sell it. I'm asking $1900 but it's negotiable. The bus is located in Fredericksburg, Virginia, which is about an hour south of D.C. and an hour north of Richmond, VA.

So let me know if anyone's interested.

Thanks, Sean