Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Oct 1996 23:44:14 -0700
From:         Austin <austins@ix.netcom.com>
Subject:      Re: KYB shock install

At 01:01 PM 10/12/96 -0500, you wrote: >Back on the road, I notice I can feel the bumps a little more now, but it's >not annoying. Still a comfortable ride. I was a little worried at first >after reading Sami's story of a bone-jarring ride with his KYB's. I >couldn't tell a whole lot of difference in the way the bus handled - low >speed cornering seems a little flatter, but freeway lane changes seem about >the same, just a little "twitchier", I guess. > >Overall, the difference isn't as great as I thought it was going to be, and >if I had it to do over again, I might have waited a little longer before >spending the $65. >So why are they called Gas-A-Just? I couldn't find any mention on the >shocks or instructions about adjusting them. Does anyone know if they are >even adjustable? The Koni shocks on the mustang are adjustable by pressing >the shock all the way down and turning the upper part. I tried this with >the KYBs but couldn't tell whether or not it was doing anything.

'ROAD&TRACK' put out a special SUV issue recently that has a very good article ref shocks - magazine is called 'OPEN ROAD' & has a picture of the new Ford Expedition on the cover. The shock article is on page 84, & breaks down the different types of dampers (as they point out is technically the correct designation for these things) - very nice cutaway drawings. Bottom line is: best shocks are 'mono tube' type, as represented by Bilstein, deCarbon, & Sachs; next down is 'twin-tube cellular' (Explorer Pro-Comp 3000 or Rancho RS5000; 3rd down is 'twin tube gas (Tokico & Monroe Sensa-Trac); bottom would be 'twin tube hydraulic', no names mentioned. Oddly enough, the 'mono tubes' while being the best, are the least macho appearing ... they're skinnier on the outside, but their design, as compared to the other 3, make them bigger on the inside, where it counts. (no mention of Koni's, BTB, but if I remember the one's I had on an off-road racer years ago weren't pressurized, although they were definitely adjustable for both jounce & rebound (push & turn for the jounce, exterior screw for the rebound).

Austin