Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Oct 1996 22:16:23 -0700
From:         natasha!mholser@Adobe.COM
Subject:      Re: 87 Synchro CV Boots

> I just bought and '87 Synchro, and an outboard front CV boot let go the > first day (did I turn a corner too tight?). I plan on pulling all the > axles and repacking the joints. What's the best CV boot available, and > where can I get them? Is there a split boot available (for a temporary > measure)? > I just bought a full set of these, altogether about $100 for the four. Can't help you out about where to shop back east -- I got mine at the "Friendly Local Auto Parts Store" in San Jose california.

The reason I'm doing a post back to the whole net was that I was surprised that the outer boots are not "german rubber" but are some white relatively stiff plastic (probably urethane). I looked under my Syncro and discovered the original ones are the same. I guess that even VW didn't think real highly of rubber boots on this more highly stressed area, and chose a different material. Maybe there's a lesson there for all the controversy over the "genuine" german rubber boots over the aftermarket jobs. All four of the boots I got are "Lobro" brand (there's two dots over the first o) from germany. The inner boot comes complete with all new bolts, clamps, etc., while the outer has a new big nut for the axel. Both come with pre-measured grease. Real nice. Can't say how they fit yet, as I still haven't put 'em in, but they look nice.

The local VW dealer wanted $100 each for these, by the way -- the auto parts store could not believe the $25 price -- they were more used to $5-$10.

I was thrilled with paying them $100 for four instead of for one. Others out there may have better deals yet -- I did not shop around really.

malcolm