Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 04 Oct 1996 07:20:43 -0500
From:         dbax@mindspring.com (Donald Baxter)
Subject:      Parts ordering experience

A leaking rear heater core has caused me to investigate parts sources other than local Atlanta dealers and local FLAPS. I assumed that the rear heater valve was the culprit and ordered a new one from Camelback VW in Phoenix--total cost $61, outrageous, but better than the $75 that Jim Ellis here in Atlanta quoted me. The part arrived in about a week.

After getting the heater removed, I realized that the valve was holding up well, but the core was leaking. I didn't mind so much ordering the new valve even though it wasn't leaking because the old valve was still broken--no way to shut off the flow. I called Camelback and order a core for $119, suggested price was $157. I have been waiting for this part for 10 days now, finally calling yesterday to find out where it was. They never ordered it! I suggest calling them back after three days to check up on progress--now it will be another week before I get my part! Another week of drivng with no rear interior bits installed in my van (I took almost everything out to clean the coolant leak from the carpet and cork sound insulation). It's LOUD! On the good side, I now get a consistent 21MPG without the weight of all those parts back there.

I tried to expedite the new part by calling Ellis VW here to match the price, they told me that $119 was below their cost. Is Camelback getting a discount that the "Largest VW Dealer in North America" can't get? (Yeah, right).

Camelback does have a toll-free number, BTW, it's 800-876-5199. Use it, they'll keep you on hold forever.

I also ordered a new bumber from Volks Motor Sports for $135 and some new end caps for both front and rear bumpers. Total with shipping to Atlanta was just shy of $200. While the chrome job on the bumper is not perfect and the holes will have to be drilled for the impact strip before I install, I am very happy with this purchase. New bumpers cost $395 from the dealer. Looking forward to having a pristine rear bumper on my van.

Donald Baxter '85 GL in Atlanta ________________________________________ Donald Baxter 405 Sixth Street, N.E. Atlanta, GA 30308-1636 404.874-3292 (home) <dbax@mindspring.com> 770.447.6831 (work) <dab1@jhk.com>

(work in progress) on the WWW http://www.mindspring.com/~dbax ________________________________________