Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Oct 1996 10:23:16 -0800
From:         natasha!mholser@Adobe.COM
Subject:      Re: 87 Synchro CV Boots

> > I changed a boot on my 94 syncro and bought an original boot from my VW > > dealer. It was made in an hard glossy kind of plastic. Not all like the > > old ones, really soft rubber. I wonder if it is some kind of > > polyuretane? I also bought the special pliers to crimp on the steel > > clips on the both end on the boot. I can tell you soon if it is better > > than the soft ones. > > Peter > > 1994 Syncro > What? 1 9 9 4 Syncro? typo right? > > Eric > Wow, what fun! I wonder if they still make TriStar's over there based on the EV. It is sorta sad to see that the pickup trucks look like the old US Rabbit Trucks now. I sure hate that import duty in the US., wish I could order a new doublecab... tho' the price would probably make me reconsider.

On the original thread note, I think that all of the Vanagon Syncros had the stiff white plastic boots (from my sample of one -- good stats!). I'd bet my 1986 has original boots -- not much was ever done to it in its 120,000 kilometers by the original two owners that I could see. My Acura has rubber boots on the steering CV's (probably neoprene) so this tack wasn't taken by Honda. Interesting that the EV Syncros came out with rubber ones. I wonder if the new EV's (non-syncro) have the stiff plastic or still use rubber. Maybe when one of you checks out the '97 Winnebago EV's today...

Just curious.

malcolm