Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Oct 1996 09:35:31 +-100
From:         Harley Thomas <ht@irfu.se>
Subject:      Lubricating door locks

I agree that WD40 is great for freeing up sticky door locks, but a word = of warning. The combination of the old gunge in the lock and the WD40 = makes a great grinding paste which will in time completely wear out your = door-lock. So, after you have got the lock free, it is essential that you use a = good lubricant. I would recommend ATF oil (automatic transmission oil) = as this has very good lubricating qualities and at the same time it does = not freeze. It is much better than the commercial de-icers which are = usually of the same type as WD40. As I live in Sweden, frozen locks are a common problem in the winter, = but since I started using ATF oil in the locks, I have had no problems = even down to minus 30 Celsius (that's minus 22 F, for those of you who = keep hanging on to antiquated measuring systems). To get the oil into the lock, I have yet to find a better instrument = than a medical hyperdermic syringe. The needle reaches into the deepest = recesses of the lock.

Harley Thomas, Uppsala, Sweden 87 Caravelle 88 Caravelle 62 Beetle