Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Oct 1996 10:51:42 -0400
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: 1987 Head gasket, replace once or more?

>Specifically, I wondered what opinions are about replacing the head gasket. >Obviously it needs to be done, usually around 50K, right? But, does the >problem reoccur every 50K, or is once good enough, particularly if they do a >good job--which I am not too clear on. The guy who is selling says only >once, but my Dad says it is periodic. who is right?

You're 50K estimate is way too low. I think the minumum I've heard of might be 50K, but more typically around 70K to 120K. My 88 lasted til around 70K, and my 87 til 100K. I've heard of people still driving Vanagons with over 150K on the original heads & gaskets. I do believe that it is periodic though. Measures can be taken to extend (perhaps indefinitely) the need for repair. Frequent (1/yr) coolant change supposedly helps, and some owners have hade their heads (I mean the van's heads) coated with a ceramic material.

>Here are specs: > >1987 Vanagon Camper (no pop-top, just fold down bed in back) Wolfsburg >Edition, >Euro Model (captain chairs and chairs directly behind the front seats),

Euro model?? There's no such thing. Did someone put some sort of Euro badge on it?

>New wheels (thick looking ones, don't know what they call them), >new brake discs and pads, >head gasket replaced at 70,000 miles,

Then there's probably 40,000 to 50,000 miles left on the new heads (if they actually changed the heads, which is usually the case).

>exhaust system replaced some time soon after that,

Good, this is expensive to replace.

>2.1 litre water cooled engine, >automatic transmission >am/fm cassette with sweet speakers, >power locks and windows and an alarm system that is not currently activated >but could be, >air conditioning that apparently works like a charm, >107,000 miles, mostly in california, no rust to speak of,

Are you in California? If the van's not too far from me (Hacienda Heights in So. Cal) I'd be glad to take a look at it with you.

>and most importantly, heated mirrors :) >$5,500 (book is 5,900)

This sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. I'd go for it! I'll send you separately a description of the 1987 Vanagon GL Wolfsburg Limited Edition model.

Good luck, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg