Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Oct 1996 19:00:32 +0100
From:         zeidler@NTCNTG02DU.ntc.nokia.com (Zeidler Helmut NTC/Dusseld.)
Subject:      Re: Heat: Gas vs. Propane

I like to answer in case of Truma heaters (equal to Propex):

>With winter approaching and much talk about heat, I'm wondering about the >benefits and problems of gas and propane heat.

>My understanding was that gas heaters were best for operating while = driving, >but not necessarily for while camping, due to potential exhaust buildup.

What is about noise?

>I also thought that propane heaters, if vented (I assume these Propex >heaters are vented, right?), were primarily for more or less continuous >operation while camping. Relatively safe due to the vented design. But I=

>thought they were not designed for operating while driving (not sure why).=

Truma are vented heaters built for continues heating during driving or camping.

>I'm thinking about a heater for heat while driving, first and foremost. >While camping, I could make due with short-term heating (like in the >morning, to entice me out of my sleeping bag). I don't really need >continuous heat, though the wife would probably like that option if the = same >heat source is good for driving-around heat.

Trumas will be shipped with a temperature regulator and an additional timer to start operation on a certain time. A remote start will be possible.

>So, is a Propex type heater good for all around driving and camping? Or >should I look into a gas heater?

Who can give you the answer, it depends on your needs. Do you have other applications for propane? If not, it will be easier to use gas.

>BTW, my Westy doesn't have a propane tank now. I assume a tank would have=

>to be added to the OUTSIDE of the van for safety. Wouldn't be safe inside= , >would it?

You also may use propane bottles inside the van, but they will need an extra compartment with a ventilation to the outside on a minimum of a 10 cm square hole at the bottom.

Helmut '80 Camper