Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Oct 1996 14:25:44 -0600
From:         "R.D. Robertson" <rdr@arn.net>
Subject:      Re: Hidden Key & Code

Christian Figenschou wrote: > > RD Robertson sed: > > > > >While replacing one of the large heater air hoses underneath my > >'79 bus, a key with a metal tag attached to it dropped onto the > >driveway. > > > >I suppose that the dealer, or more likely, the factory, hid this > >key and metal tag there. > > > I hope all the folks going on key hunts under their cars will tell us what > they find. IMHO, however, I think the key was more likely hidden there by a > PO in case of losing/locking keys in car. > > My SA 2c. > > Fig

That's what I would have thought had we not owned the bus since it was new.

I find it difficult to believe that the dealer would go to all that time and expense to hide a master key for his customers. The key and metal tag with the key code stamped into it were hidden above the heater hose, attached to the bus with one of the original heater hose tie-downs. Hiding it like this would have taken at least 30 minutes of a dealership mechanic's time. It would have been much easier for the dealer to keep each master key in the respective customer's file folder. So, I'm guessing that hiding the key under the car was standard practice, at least for a while, at VW of Germany. I *could* be wrong about that (it would be the first time in my life, though). (;-)

At any rate, I'd like to see the results of the great hidden key search.

Roy