Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Oct 1996 16:55:40 -0500
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Hidden Key & Code

> >While replacing one of the large heater air hoses underneath my > >'79 bus, a key with a metal tag attached to it dropped onto the > >driveway. > > > >I suppose that the dealer, or more likely, the factory, hid this > >key and metal tag there. At any rate, I'd like to see the results of the great hidden key search. - - - - I have *never* found a key in that location while looking at/ taking apart many a bus. I have found more pipes in unlikely locations than hidden keys, but I doubt the dealer put THEM there. Owners manuals say the buses came with two copies of the key, and it would not be unknown for a PO to hide it somewhere in the bus, but that sounds like an awkward place to me.

The only hidden spare key I ever found was in a 65 bus with a locking steering coumn, and the owner lost the key, and his spare. So Mike and I went to remove the lock, which he had DESTROYED trying to get it to unlock. That is, he broke the cylinder, but that did not unlock the lock. If you lose your key, do not attempt to do anything to the cylinder. And Sod's law in force, it turned out that there was another ignition key stashed in a dash crevice that I found. But as the cylinder was broken, it was too late to use the key. : ( So FWIW there is a bus I know of with a locking column, w/o lock, putting around Oly.

Clara