Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Oct 1996 16:47:03 -0700
From:         dbelick@peapod.com (D.Belick)
Subject:      Haunted 84 adventurewagon

My 84 hi-top seems haunted...I drive along for 10-15 minutes, the boheamoth stalls, no power. Crank it over and over, lots of blue smoke (oil pulled up into cylinders by trying for a restart while going from 65 to zero?). Let it sit for 20 minutes or so(heat gauge to nill), pump the pedal while cranking it,(ist verboten mit fuelinjection, right?) and it starts, no blue smoke anymore. I take off and 10 minutes later it stops again. It takes three hours to get home with this charming procedure (good thing it had a full refrigerator and library!). It acted up a bit the day before, but the day before that it ran perfectly fine (tank was full that day). This has been an ongoing problem since just after I got it three months ago, with fixes including fuel filter(s), temp sensor 2 replacement, relay. It was losing power on the hills, only to run fine down the backside. Does this sound like the coil problem experienced by others, or am I running out of gas with 1/3 of a tank? All the cranking-over produced no gas smell in the engine compartment.

That was Saturday. Today in the shop, it started right up ran to be moved to a different parking space.

Any Vanagon exorcists out there?