Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Oct 1996 20:10:33 -0800
From:         Robert Crawford <robertc@snowcrest.net>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon heater fan

At 09:27 PM 10/29/96 -0600, Bryan Adams wrote:

>I have had two 85's that the fan works erratically. Dash removal does >not sound like much fun. I have been avoiding it for several years, but >now it is time. Tips and parts locations would be appreciated.

You might try working on (or replaceing) the switch first. I got tired of the heater fan not running reliably also, so last friday night (in a parking lot)I removed the switch, took it apart and cleaned and adjusted the contacts.

To get the switch out I first removed the dash ashtray (I don't remember why except that you can see the switch with it removed). Then I slid the heater controls most of the way to the left. I then pulled out the fan controll selector (it's a T shaped piece of plastis, it just pulls straight out). And then carefully pried on the right side of the heater control face. There is a spring clip on the right side of the now exposed switch pot(now I remember about the ashtray, I was at this point able to push on the back of the switch to get it out. It then just unplugs.

If you are of the mind to disassemble the switch, there are a couple of plastic tabs on the side that when pressed will allow the switch to be taken apart. After takeing it apart clean all the contacts with alcohol and a green pad(3M scotchbrite or equivilant) then try the switch. If it works, good, if not... take it apart again (you may break it durring this step, but it needed replacement anyways, so nothing is lost by trying). I noticed that post was worn so I bent the ears back just a little so that the ears would not hold the post away from it's contact point. I had to chip away at the plastic inside the switch a little so the the now adjusted ears could move freely.

My heater fan works again!

Zeneta & Robert Crawford

"This year will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" Adolf Hitler...1935