Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Oct 1996 17:36:55 -0800
From:         mholser@Adobe.COM (Malcolm Holser)
Subject:      Re: Syncro Westie pages

> 928's are beautiful and somewhat affordable cars now days as they > age, one of the worlds finest GT's, but engine rebuilds are prohibitive.

Considering what they cost new, these things are being given away. I can't think of any other car that has depreciated the way these do, and it's a real shame. They are great cars. The engine was made of an aluminum alloy that was cast as a slurry with some carbide material (either silicon carbide or tungsten -- wolfram -- carbide). The material is rather impossible to machine short of diamond tools. After the cylinders were cut, they were acid etched to remove the aluminum, resulting in essentially a carbide cylinder that holds oil well. I heard a rumor that Porsche will remachine a damaged case for about $20k. Thankfully they are supposed to wear forever.

I looked at buying an S4 once (for $15k) in perfect shape, down from its new price of almost $90,000. Wife objected.

All this is, like most of what I write, from foggy memories in my head, and so is likely to be wrong...

malcolm