Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Oct 1996 13:27:59 -0700
From:         Neil Wigley <wigs@cc.wwu.edu>
Subject:      Re: '88 Westy Frig

At 9:59 AM -0500 10/6/96, John E. Flynn wrote: > As a new owner of the outfit I am trying to get to know our unit. I >am interested in any tips you may have on "lighting the frig". The frig >works well on 12 volts, 110 volts, and propane. However I it seems to be >difficult to get the propane lit. When we first bought the van, the frig >started nicely. After a refill I couldn't get it to light. Seemed like we >had spark but no gas. I repalaced the thermocouple. > > Any tips would be greatly appreciated. > > Thanks. > > John Flynn flynnj@cadvision.com > 1988 Westfalia > Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hi John,

I've got an '87, and have never had any real problems, though I thought I had. It seems to be a common complaint that people have, and they got to lengthy machinations to have everything checked out.

Number one, don't trust the little change of color in the corner of the fridge itself. I have never seen it on; my wife claims she can see it, but I wonder.

Number two, unscrew that little screw underneath the door; maybe some water will come out.

Number three, pump it 32 times and then click it five or so times, all the time holding the button in; continue holding the button in. Watch your LED for the clue as to whether it's lit.

If this doesn't work after five tries, then go outside the van, undo the round cap (4" or so in diam) and you'll see TWO holes leading down towards the fridge, each about the diameter of a quarter. Get some kind of hair dryer or other type of blowing machine and put it over the central hole and let it blow; you should be able to feel air coming out of the other, off-center hold. Do this for a minute or so; is lots of crap coming out of hole #2? Good.

Now go back to starting your fridge.

Good luck.

Neil