Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Oct 1996 17:24:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Steven Johnson" <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: '88 Westy Frig

So John E. Flynn says: > > As a new owner of the outfit I am trying to get to know our unit. I > am interested in any tips you may have on "lighting the frig". The frig > works well on 12 volts, 110 volts, and propane. However I it seems to be > difficult to get the propane lit. When we first bought the van, the frig > started nicely. After a refill I couldn't get it to light. Seemed like we > had spark but no gas. I repalaced the thermocouple. >

Along with the remarks about cleaning out the ventilation tubes, it has been previously posted (hence archived) that you can 'air out' the venting system by blasting air through the drainage hole at the bottom of the fridge. Some people have used a bike pump, others have used compressors. I've not had this problem as I continue to keep the flue cover on when I'm not running propane for the fridge.

I did have a problem while at the Mammoth/Pumice Flat campout. I could get the pilot lit, but the flame would go out as I turned the dial to maximum cooling. I kept turning it down and trying again and again to get the fridge lit, but no go. I just left if for an hour and came back and tried it again and the same thing happened, so I said "screw it." and left if for another hour. The third time I tried it, the same thing was happening only this time I decided to check out the flue by smelling. Sure enough, there was a strong odor of propane. So I turned the cooling dial completely off and started the ignition, pushed in the button and started pumping in air. After a few pumps, it lit the burner and stayed on. I let it go for a bit and then finally turned on the cooling dial. This time, it stayed lit. I came to the conclusion that my problem was with the altitude and the cold. And that I needed to get the burner warmed up before I could add more propane to the mixture.

Hope this helps,

Steven Sacramento, CA sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com