Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 07 Oct 1996 09:12:20
From:         EXPRES@gnn.com (RON SALMON)
Subject:      Re: "House Car" tags

>I live in southeastern PA and I have recently purchased an 83.5 Westfalia. >My question is, sometimes I see Westy's with "House Car" tags here in PA, >or with "Mobile Home", etc. on Westy's from other states. My van just has >regular tags. What is the pre-requisite for these tags? >

I also live in SE Pa, and have my '85 Westy tagged that way (the current tag says "motor home", old ones said "house car"). Any camper qualifies for this tag (I believe the prerequisite is running water). However, as I understand it, once you have already registered your Westy in Pa. as a regular car or van, it is difficult to get it reclassified as a motor home (must send photos to the DMV proving that it is one, etc.). Your local tag service could tell you more.

As I understand it, there are a few motor vehicle laws that do not apply to motor homes. For example, I am told that in Pa. you could not be charged with possessing an open container of alcohol if it were in the back of a parked motorhome, whereas in a car that could result in a hefty fine.

More important is that you get Motor Home INSURANCE, which, at least in Pa., can be up to 50% less that conventional auto insurance, provided that there is at least one other vehicle on your policy. You need not have the Motor Home tag to get the motor home insurance rate.

-Ron Salmon