Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 07 Oct 1996 09:59:58 -0400
From:         Tom Forhan <tforhan@usa.pipeline.com>
Subject:      Gene Berg and wasserboxer performance

I got the Gene Berg catalog over the weekend, looking for some stuff for my '64. This place is famous for hodrodding aircooled VW engines. You almost have to read between the lines, but it is clear that at some time their shop van was an early wasserboxer, and they have "played" with it.

The first thing that caught my attention was a do-it yourself programmable fuel injection setup, and a paragraph or two about how they used it to optimize the FI on their vanagon.

No mention of any other mods at that point, but later, in the crankshaft section, they note that the can produce stroker cranks for wasserboxers. No part number or anything, just a "call us if you want to know more".

They also note that Mahle makes a set of 98 mm pistons and cylinders for the wasserboxer for about $2000. This brings us back to the Ahnendorp threads from last spring, a German supplier who would give you a stroker and cylinder kit to bring the wasserboxer up to about 2.4 liters. Total parts cost was vaguely $5000, if my memory is correct.

Now, my Vanagon goes fine down the highway. It will cruise at 70+ all day, and frankly that's as fast as I feel comfortable with in most road conditions. Acceleration: hey, this is almost a three ton VW bus, I have few expectations, being slow off the line doesn't bother me. What does get me, though, is the hills. On the highway, I'd like to continue up the Interstate hills at around 3800 RPM for as long as possible. Off road, the one time I needed to get winched up a hill, I had traction, I just did not have the power to do the climb.

So here is a specific question: I'm thinking what I need first is torque, not hp, and that could be just a stroker crank. Is this correct?

Not a single price in the Berg catalog, BTW. They are reprinting the price list and will send it next month. Meantime, they will price stuff over the phone. I'll talk to them this evening.

Tom F.