Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Oct 1996 12:51:44 -0700
From:         mholser@Adobe.COM (Malcolm Holser)
Subject:      Kombi question again

Ok, I'm back on the list(s) after several weeks of mail troubles (and apologise to those who got weird messages from mail routers). I just got a letter from VW stating that my '86 Kombi does meet all the US and California requirements, despite it being a strange model. California declined to give me a title (they already had given me plates and stickers) until they straightened this out, since the VIN number did no compute.

So back to my question: Does anybody know much about this model, like how many were made, or where they were available? This is a 1986 Kombi Syncro, from Canada. The Canadian sales literature from 1986 lists panels and pickups, but not Kombi's. The US Vanagon Owner's Manual, though, lists the Kombi in its dimensions section. Kombi's are a well-known model among splits, and even a few loafs, but this is the only one I've heard of in the Vanagon era.

This is *not* a base model Vanagon. It is, like the classic Kombi, a panel van with windows. The side windows are unique to the model -- they don't open at all. There is no headliner, and the interior is painted masonite and metal. It has "Transporter" badges, no seats, and transporter instruments (read that as minimal instruments -- no trip-odometer, no clock, no tach, no nothing). It does have the rear defroster (no wiper). It has black transporter trim -- no rubber strips on the bumpers, either.

This model was widely available in Europe, but I don't know if they sold many. It seems odd that it was built with the Syncro option as well, since that is a whole different factory. Anybody familiar with any of this? How rare (or common) were the classic split-window Kombi's as a model? how about the loafs? How about Vanagon-style? and I guess I might as well ask: Do they still make Kombis in the EV style?

The VIN number for the later Vanagon-era Kombis have an "X" as the model designator, but also have the "25" body-style "Vanagon" (instead of the Transporter) part. I've seen sales lit showing high roof versions, and sliding-doors-on-both-sides versions, but mine ain't that cool.

malcolm

'80 Westfalia '81 GL partsmobile '86 GL '86 Kombi Syncro