Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Oct 1996 18:31:55 -0700
From:         Robert Crawford <robertc@snowcrest.net>
Subject:      re: 82 diesel head gasket

>I am working on it now, I am takeing the head off and I have notoiced that >there two holes in the head (near the hole off to the side, next to where >the notches are)that are not in the head gasket (the bently book does not >show holes there ether). >Should I punch holes in the gasket to match the holes in the head?

Well, I got it together and it ran. I didn't punch the holes out because I wasn't sure at the time that I was putting it together. If I ever have to replace the head gasket again I will punch the holes out. Leaving them pluged looks like it makes a hot spot between #2&3.

One interesting thing is that after replaceing the head gasket and timing belt is that it now seems to be a lot quieter (it's still a diesel, but a quieter one).

Of tools that I didn't plan on and had to go and get, I had to get a 6mm alen on a 3/8 socket in order to remove the V pulley on the crankshaft.

I also found that the easest way to get to the V pulley was to remove the muffler so now I need to get a muffler gasket. Yes, even with a torn muffler gasket it is still quieter than it was.

Also, I am now able to add water the way the book says to, it dosen't splash (read, geyser) back at me out of the pressure tank.

Robert Crawford

"This year will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" Adolf Hitler...1935