Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 07 Oct 1996 21:04:36 -0500
From:         "Thomas D. Hanlon" <HANRAN.INC@internetmci.com>
Subject:      Three Insights Gained From a Long Westy Trip

-- [ From: Thomas D. Hanlon * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

Listees,

My wife and I just returned from a 4,000 (four thousand) mile trip from Austin Texas to Boise, Idaho, from and to Texas via New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma.

Some Insights gained:

1. Before departing, we ordered, as a result of conversations on the list, Don Wright's book, "Guide to Free Campgrounds," for $16.95. The publisher (800-272-5518) sent us, gratis, two additional guides, "Camping on A Shoestring," Eastern and Western Editions, retailing at $14.95 each, maybe as a professional courtesy since we were attending a travel writers' conference. The books have become indispensable tools in our kits. Don't leave home to camp without all three. Usual disclaimer applies. This is an unsolicited testimonial.

One anecdote: At the Torrington, WY Pioneer Municipal Park, the superb campsite on the banks of the Platte River, provides electricity and a modest sign requests a "donation" to help cover costs. One of the town cops stopped by to see how we "were doing."

2. Read closely the octane readings on the decals on the left of the pumps in Montana and Wyoming. Scrutinize them before fillups. 85.5 Octane is not unusual in those states, at least in the stations which I patronized. Attempt not to cross Beartooth Pass (10,900 feet) juiced up on 85.5 Octane. My Westy knocked, pinged, groaned, rocked and rolled, protested, coughed and gasped during and after three subsequent tankfuls as a result of my two stupid episodes of low grade fuel. Even at gas pumps, "Let the buyer beware."

3. For those who need limited use of a "personal convenience," occasionally, , and who decline the portable potty option, buy a FEMALE urinal made by Rubbermaid, obtainable from Walgreen or one of the other chains for about six bucks. It's anatomically-correct for users from both sides of the campus.

Tom Hanlon Austin, TX