Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Oct 1996 13:29:32 -0700
From:         mholser@Adobe.COM (Malcolm Holser)
Subject:      Re: Sliding door?

Somewhere between Anchorage and Tok this summer, I got totally fed up with the three screaming kids and stopped the bus beside the road, went out and threw the door open to yell at them (you just can't yell properly while driving!). The door came off. Seems like I was a little too energetic about opening it. I stood, looking forlornly at my door, one corner in the mud of Alaska, the rest hanging on by the rear slider hoping not to fall into the mud (and over the cliff into that glacier below us) while my wife gave me a earful.

The odd thing was that the door never worked well on this bus before this, and after I got it all aback together, and we continued on our way, it has worked perfectly!

Now this might not work for you (after all the old Vans have a different door mechanism) but it did for me!

So pile your kids in and drive for a couple of weeks straight. Pull off the road and *really* whang the door open (the road I used was right purty -- I'd recommend it!) and lubricate it to your hearts content! Be sure your significant other is there on hand, and you'll need a couple of wrenches. Maybe the mud helps, too.

malcolm