Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Oct 1996 21:36:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Jon Christensen <vvwca@primenet.com>
Subject:      I push started my 84!

Hi All,

After a long day at work I went out to find my Brownie Bus in the parking lot with the headlights on since 1:00 (it was raining at noon). Sure as $hit, it would not even crank. Meanwhile a couple of cops were putting tickets on cars parked in a fire lane, watching me with grins on their faces wondering what I was going to do. I tried to push start it in reverse since that was the easiest method. Nope. The cop's grins turned to laughs. By then I knew I had a good chance going downhill. Push, push,pushm, jump in, try 2nd, putt,putt,putt, give it some gas, flurpel,flurpel,flurpel, vvvrrrooooommm!!!! I wasn't so sure a Vanagon would allow me to do that, but it worked! I gave the cops a thumbs up and they smiled and waved. After the 7 mile trip home, I made sure it was charged up, and all was fine. 8-) I guess it's instinct to park on a hill.

This episode reminded me of my high school years and my none-VW 57 Chevy. For quite a while it had starter problems that I didn't have the $ to fix. In order to get to school in the morning, I'd push it a level block to a hill, jump in, turn the key on, jam the Hurst shifted 4-speed into second and hoped like heck it would start and keep running without a choke on those cold Nebraska winters. Later in college, I finally turned my vehicular attentions to VW's, strongly due to the influence of my father's 74 Bug that always started and got from point A to point B without incident, esp. when my old Chevies weren't being reliable. I guess we get smarter with age..., but still park on hills. 8-)

Jon Christensen /V\ Membership Coordinator for the ~Certified VW Nut \W/ Vintage VW Club of America vvwca@primenet.com Co-Editor of the VVWCA Newsletter http://members.gnn.com/vvwca KC Kombis' NEATO Co-Rep