Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Oct 1996 00:00:16 -0400
From:         EdBuzz@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Sniffers

<< I'm think I'm becoming a fan of you. One of these days, I'm going to have to grill you for even more detailed info. about your vans setup. One thing I've been wanting to ask you is, does San Diego have those on-ramp/off-ramp smog sensing setups? I was wondering if this is a concern for the way you have your van set up. If it's still okay while driving through those test zones, I'd really like to do the same mods you have done. >>

Thanks Steve, the Edbuzz fan club will except any and all donations...large bills preferred....OK,OK,... I have recently relocated to Portland, Or. from S.D. and, thank goodness there is no smog check here...no smog sensors here...no smog...wait a minute...maybe a little 2 days a year...anyway,they are putting those on-ramp sniffers in SD this year.You would be correct in assuming that the sniffers would detect the subject modified vehicle putting more emissions in the air, but I have my doubts regarding the ability to regulate the accuracy of the infrared sniffers(they take a photo/ir reading of the air) and the legal grounds upon which they intend to enforce the ticket, ie: how will they be able to tell the emissions from your vehicle from the 200 others which sat at the ramp 5 minutes before you, and once emissions enter the uncontained air, how will they specify, and maintain for evidence, the smog spew? I can see the sharks...I mean attorneys in Ca. eating this one up.Have they installed the sensors up in Sacramento yet?....Thanks for the complement Steve, I will try to prepare a file of potential mods I have found work for all to view...and use at their own risk,off-road of course.See ya.

Ed Berroth 84 Westy Wolf 87 Stinkcrow