Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Oct 1996 15:55:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:         H Steven Dolan <dworkin@mtolympus.ari.net>
Subject:      Seneca Rocks Camping Trip - Directions

For those interested in attending this weekend's campout here are directions from the Washington Beltway and Interstate 66. For those who are attending from elsewhere on the I-95 corridor, all the direction sets I have been able to find include getting to that point and going west from there. From the the intersection of I-495 and I-66, the directions are as follows:

(1) From I-66 & I-495 go west on I-66 'til it ends at I-81 (approximately 60 miles). Note: Tom Forhan says construction near manassas is terrible, so he intends to take an alternate route. I know not which, Tom??? Route 50??)

(2) Go south on I-81 2 exits (approximately 4 miles) to Route 55.

(3) Go west on Route 55 to Seneca Rocks (approximately 80 miles)

The last part of this direction set (go west on Route 55) covers a couple of splits/combinations and doglegs which I will describe below, but remember, whatever else the road says, what you are trying to do is follow Route 55!

Detail for Route 55:

After you pass into West Virginia, Rt 55 will be joined by Rt 259 just before Wardensville, Rt. 259 departs on the left 20-30 miles down the road just past Baker. Ignore it.

When you get to Petersburg, Rt 55 joins Rt. 220. At the center of town turn right onto what should be 220/55 (but is probably only labelled Mount View Street). As you leave town, the road splits. The right fork is labelled Rt. 42, the left fork is labelled Rt. 55 and Rt. 28. Take the left fork. STAY ON RT. 55.

Follow Rt.55/Rt.28 to Seneca Rocks. The campground entrance is just south of town.

Lastly, I HATE JAVA!!! This is my third try at generating this post, and I am so sick of java that, the next event I hope to arrange is a necktie party for the developers. I am also willing to invite the individuals at Netscape who decided that it was so "cool" that it had to be included in Netscape WITHOUT A WAY TO TURN IT OFF!

H Steven Dolan Alexandria, VA