Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Oct 1996 21:47:19 -0400
From:         "bob tickle" <ratickle@viconet.com>
Subject:      Re: Drivability Problems with Vanagons

Jeff & Jean-Marie,

I would be deeply interested in any and all information you have on Vanagon Drivability Problems! My mechanic just installed the $100 wiring harness modification to try and fix my Vanagon problem but it didn't do it!! He has already replaced both the Digifant computer and the Air Flow Sensor and my Vanagon still stops running after 20 minutes and won't restart until I let it cool back down.

For others that have been following my sad tale I have a new piece of information. I have found that if I start my Vanagon and let it idle until the cooling fan comes on (i.e. warm all the way up), then it runs PERFECTLY!

The problem is relate to the temperature transition between a cold start and fully hot. Someone mentioned replacing the temperature sensor. Could this be a symptom of a bad temperature sensor?

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I'm going broke quickly and getting depressed to boot.

---------- > From: Jeff & Jean-Marie Diebolt <jdiebolt@up.net> > To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> > Subject: Drivability Problems > Date: Tuesday, October 08, 1996 11:35 PM > > Hi to all the Vanagon readers, > I've been reading some of the problems being discussed here and offered a > few solutions for some that I was aware of. I spent 12 years working at a > VW dealer only to move on to a new career about 5 years ago. I own a 1982 > Vanagon diesel and love it. Don't like working on it any more though. Just > got done replacing the valves, the timing belt broke, I consider myself > lucky. The reason I am writing today is to tell you all about a VW service > communique that I was able to get from a friend still at the dealership. It > deals with drivability problems with water cooled Vanagons. Intermitent > missing, cutting out, stalling, etc.. I know that allot of the fixes are > quite expensive, and may not even work as well as some of the ones > mentioned on this list. I left the dealership before this document came out > so I cannot personally vouch for the repairs. I really don't like making > suggestions from information provided by other people without trying it out > for myself. I figure there may be some of you out there that would try some > of the items since there are so many reoccurring problems. (i.e. replace > ECU and air flow sensor and problem comes back) I was told that this > information is not to be let out to everybody in its original form. So I > have condensed the information from 12 pages to 5. Four pages are in Word > format and the fifth page is a test sheet in Excel format. I do not want to > flood people with unwanted or unnecessary mail, and I do not know what is > in the digests. I will happily send the information to anyone who wants it. > If enough people request it I will post the five pages. > Another quick note. While ordering the parts for my diesel from a supplier > that I used to deal with. I asked him if his company does any retail > business. He said yes so I asked if they stock the water cooled Vanagon > exhaust parts, they do. I've bought exhaust for my diesel from them and was > pleased with both quality and price. The company is New Brighton Imports > 1-800-621-5125 ask or Bobby. > Jeff & Jean-Marie Diebolt --- Greetings from Michigan's Upper Peninsula > e-mail:<jdiebolt@up.net> > fax:(906)359-4517 >