Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Oct 1996 11:17:51 -0700 (MST)
From:         vanbondo@primenet.com (Rusty VanBondo)
Subject:      Vanagon CV noises?

In early June, I had some work done at the local dealer in order to "get it right the first time." I wished to avoid multiple day delays that I had experienced at other mechanics that I have used in the past. "Well man, I'll get to it and call ya when I (get off my dead *** and) get it done." (days and days later the vehicle still sat idle...)

*The Problem: The work in question was prompted by the tell-tale knocking of the right rear CVs. I had no experience in doing CVs and needed the daily driver on the road. The local VW dealer showed me shiny wear on the CVs and said that the wheel bearing also needed done. OK fine. Grrr... It cost an arm and a leg which I didnt have. (Mondo $$$$~shoulda, coulda, woulda...) Magic plastic to the rescue. =( About the first week of August I took it back and complained of a squeaky noise with a frequency (of occurence) which matched the speed of the vehicle. reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet... The guys checked it out and test drove it on and off the lot and basically topped off the tranny lube and shrugged their shoulders. "Gee, Mr.VanBondo", they said in all of their profesionally polished politeness "we couldn't really locate the noise. The tranny lube was down a tad and humma humma humma. Drive some more and see how it goes." $40.00 for tranny lube, labor and "shop supplies" Grrr... I couldn't afford to keep the car off the road or to be bent over like a punk date. reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet... I called the dealer back again yesterday and asked about bringing it back and approaching it as a "come-back." "Well Mr. Mr.VanBondo", they said in all of their profesionally polished politeness, "We certainally take consideration for parts warrantees..." When I pressed the point re: control of the expenses I was told that I had control over that. Interpreted to read as "If ya wannit fixed afta we gets it torn down on the rack weez gonna hose ya again..."

*Bottom line Question: Does anyone have any technical insight as to what mechanically could be malconfloogilated? Me thinks it's high time that old Rusty breaks out the crescent wrenches ;-) and gets the thing fixed right once and for all... Could it be something in the brake drum rather than CV related? reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet-reet...